• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get photomerge in Photoshop to work on anything but automatic?

Enthusiast ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever i have an image that won't stitch automatically, I try to use "reposition" as the option, as well as "collage" and "perspective", but none of them seem to work at all. By that I don't mean that PS does a bad job, but that it doesn't even try. For example, when I try "reposition", I expect a dialogue where I position the pieces and they snap in place when PS sees a match, but no matter what I do, PS automatically tries to position them, and if it can't I'm never provided with a dialogue to reposition them. It just fails.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Does this happen with every image or specific images?
You may share your feedback here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family This forum is directly monitored by our developers and they might look into it.

Also, what version of Photoshop and the operating system you're working on?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens with all photos. It's been like this for years. At some point in the CC Cloud I noticed that photomerge lost all ability to work, unless automatic stitching works. I can't remember when.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the subject that you're trying to stitch? Photoshop doesn't stitch images that have strong graphic elements (lines) with smooth areas between them. There is no feature to reposition by dragging. Reposition is an auto method that will not distort the layers, just reposition them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paintings. I scan paintings in sections and stitch them. Usually there's no problem but sometimes you need to help photoshop find the matching parts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obvious question: if you want reposition by dragging - why don't you just drag them to position? That's what that option will do, it means no transform, just reposition.

Photomerge is just a rolled-into-one combination of three separate commands: Load Files into Stack > Auto-Align > Auto-Blend. You have much more control if you do these commands individually.

If it still doesn't work, you don't have enough solid overlap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't just drag them into position because PS does a better job of seamless stitching and matching the lighting so you don't notice where it was stitched. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it was something like a painting or graphic elements. PS just doesn't do well with those. I'm not sure why, but I have a feeling it's due to how they find target spots on matching images. If the spots they use have little detail or lines that are hard to align, it fails, even if, to us, it looks like an easy match. The ability to drag and have PS then detect what should be aligned would be idea. It would also be good to be able to merge a few images at a time to get the alignment for a larger complicated stitch, but I've found that rarely works well, if at all. I don't know if you've tried stitching them in Camera Raw - if possible. It has a different algorithm than PS, and sometimes works better. Not sure about paintings though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chuck. That's what I thought. I may try camera raw sometime. Fortunately we almost always have a match. The camera is laser aligned to the wall/artwork, so PS usually has a very easy time putting things together. Sometimes when we have a super soft painting, we'll put little colored dots on it for PS to find, then use the healing brush to take them out when we're done. For things that require three or four images to be stitched, we usually do it in stages now, and it's not much trouble. But occasionally we have to do it manually. The more detailed the image, the easier it is. Maps are almost perfect. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines