• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to restore the circle shape for the brush tool in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My brush tool has become a small cross hair and cannot get back to a circle. How do I reset?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Press the 'Caps Lock' key while using one of the brushes. It toggles between a circle and a crosshair view.

If it's always wrong when opening Photoshop change the default behavior in Edit --> Preferences --> Cursors. There you can select 'Normal Brush Tip'.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Adobe product are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Product name will definatly help us to direct you to correct forum..

Thanks

Kapil Malik

Regards,
Kapil Malik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go, Allan!

Cheers

Brush_Tips.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nitin is this a screenshot from Photoshop?  If so what version?  The OP still needs to respond with which software they are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked it out. The capital lock key jumps between cross hairs and circle.

Allan

Sent from a mobile device

IMPORTANT NOTICE

This communication is from Deloitte LLP, a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC303675. Its registered office is 2, New Street Square, London EC4A 3BZ, United Kingdom. Deloitte LLP is the United Kingdom member firm of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited (“DTTL”), a UK private company limited by guarantee, whose member firms are legally separate and independent entities. Please see www.deloitte.co.uk/about<http://www.deloitte.co.uk/about> for a detailed description of the legal structure of DTTL and its member firms.

This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), please (1) notify it.security.uk@deloitte.co.uk<mailto:it.security.uk@deloitte.co.uk> by forwarding this email and delete all copies from your system and (2) note that disclosure, distribution, copying or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. Email communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free from error or viruses. All emails sent to or from a Deloitte UK email account are securely archived and stored by an external supplier within the European Union.

To the extent permitted by law, Deloitte LLP does not accept any liability for use of or reliance on the contents of this email by any person save by the intended recipient(s) to the extent agreed in a Deloitte LLP engagement contract.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this email which have not been delivered by way of the business of Deloitte LLP are neither given nor endorsed by it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same issue and the caps lock thing does not fix it, tried the changing the cursor on preferences and still did not work, rebooted my pc to see if something was stuck and nope, later something magically made the crosshairs go away. A glitch in the program probably, since I do not hit the caps lock or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press the 'Caps Lock' key while using one of the brushes. It toggles between a circle and a crosshair view.

If it's always wrong when opening Photoshop change the default behavior in Edit --> Preferences --> Cursors. There you can select 'Normal Brush Tip'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff_Know1, seems to be telling the right solution, mine was the longer way though.

@Jeff A Wright: Yes  That was from Photoshop, It is more less same with most of the apps.

Cheers

LP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

That is helpful.

I have now done this and it has worked.

Allan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in my paint.net program my paintbrush is making squares instead of a circle.  Like pixels.  I’ve even tried reloading the program.  How do I fix it back to a circle.  The caps lock doesn’t work for psin.net.  Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2015 Dec 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so simple, and yet you kept me from going insane with your reply and fix.  i was literally going nuts trying to figure out what i did to change it.  thanks much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 2017, just did update. Photoshop CC.  Seems to not work permanently with the caps lock. It keeps bouncing back to the X, after one click. Has anyone found a new fix for this? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem since I updated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jahni88  wrote

January 2017, just did update. Photoshop CC.  Seems to not work permanently with the caps lock. It keeps bouncing back to the X, after one click. Has anyone found a new fix for this? thanks

Hi Jahn and LBDuxbury

Would one of you start a new thread for this please?  Your issue appears to be a bug and not related to the age old problem of the Caps Lock key causing just the cross hair cursor to show.  Please tell us your operating system, plus updates, and what exactly you do that causes this issue?

Your description above is a little ambiguous, and we need to know what tool you are using, the workflow and what happens and at what stage.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I will start a new thread. In response.

1. It's definitely not fixed by the cap locks key.

2. I attempted to fix it in the preferences and that did not work.

3. I'm having the issue in Photoshop using an  iMac iMac (OS Sierra version 10.12.4). The Apple update was the start of my issues and not the Adobe update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bless you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! this did the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks it worked!!!!! i felt sooo stuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally!  Somebody who understands the question and has an answer. Thanks Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I'm having the same problem, and when i clicked caps lock the circle of the brush poped up bu when i moved the curser it went away. How do can I make it stay a circular brush?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind it worked, I have to keyboards so the caps lock has to be selected or unselected specificly on the mac for it to work not an outside keyboard. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Couldn't figure out what I did.  I have no Caps Lock light or indicator, and I never gave it a thought.  So annoying, but a simple a fix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didnt work for me on a bran new lmac laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines