• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I lock rotation view in Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I lock rotation view in Photoshop? It is annoying when the canvas rotates accidentally. I don't understand why Adobe allows the Rotation View to work without even having the tool selected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

See if going to Photoshop (Edit)>Preferences>Tools and unchecking Enable Gestures works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josiahm,

I'm not sure if locking is possible, however, you can disable the rotate view feature. Please check this forum thread to know more: how do i disable the rotate view tool?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That forum is outdated. And it doesn't apply to the newer version of Photoshop CC 2019. Please try again.

Also it seems stupid. Why would I need to download something in order to disable rotate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could turn off OpenGL in Preferences > Performance > Advanced Settings, then relaunch Photoshop. That should disable the rotate view feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if going to Photoshop (Edit)>Preferences>Tools and unchecking Enable Gestures works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeff+Arola  wrote

A good call Jeff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems there are no downsides. Disable Gestures, Rotate, switch to another tool and it will stay in place until you press the Escape key to reset it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a horrible call. This does not work at all. Besides I dont want all gestures disabled, I want to be able to zoom using my touchscreen without accidentally rotating the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This does not work.  Only for those with devices that gestures would normally work on.. There is still a bug with standard PCs that randomly rotates the view clockwise when using alt+scroll wheel.   It's random when the rotation happens and sometimes happens with only pressing "alt"   very strange bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer is incorrect, using Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.4) on Windows 10 Pro with a Wacom Cintiq Pro tablet, disabling gestures doesn't do anything. I honestly can't understand why the canvas can't have a rotation lock by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with CC 2019, disabling gestures doesn't prevent the canvas from rotating with a Cintiq. Particularly annoying when I'm just trying to zoom or pan, and have to manually re-orient the canvas every time. Is there a fix for this? (edit: I just found out esc resets it (derp) but it's still irritating)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. I find a way. It is not in Photoshop. You need to go to the Tablet settings and go to "standart-gestures" and there you can disabele rotation for the tablet. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super annoying! super annoying. They have to make it easy to disable and able...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines