• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make a complaint about the new save utility?

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've just purchased Photoshop for the first time in my life and it updated all my software, now I cannot save anything unless it's a copy, but I am using Windows 10 and the file I am saving is not a copy. I've read all the news and why this has happened, but realistically for such an expensive piece of software there should be an option in the settings to have a "Classic" save dialogue box, especially as Windows is unaffected.

The second complaint is why is there no option to change it so it DOESN'T add the word COPY to every single file I want to save, I'm either going to have to write a batch file script to remove the word copy, which is a load of crap from Adobe really, this is meant to be professional.

The files I'm saving are not copies, just the file in a different format. This makes it very annoying if I want to save my PSD file in a multitude of formats for compatibility as I have to go through the dialogue box and change the wording every time for each save, for each file.

When doing UI design this is a nightmare.

But where do I go to send this complaint??

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the preferences? This shouldn't happen on Windows.  I don't have a problem with it on Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should take the time to read the scores of posts on this matter on this forum before sounding off. It appears to be that Apple caused the issue rather than Adobe.

This terrific YouTube tutorial explains why and when to use Save,  Save As, Save a Copy and Export As.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CS_oieQL7c&t=205s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, this is on a Win 10 box and not one Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter. Photoshop has to work identically on both platforms. Change one, change the other.

If they evetually decide to allow functional differences, it will be a historical first.

Read on:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should have read my post properly those issues are addressed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand why, i do not like it and i want the old method back im on windows and ww should have the option.

I dont need to read scores of posts, i am adding to them.

Hence my suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" now lists only the formats that support all the current properties of the file. All other formats, with limited support, are now moved to "Save A Copy".

Apple removed the API that allowed Photoshop to strip "-copy" from the filename. With the new API, Photoshop is forced to finalize the filename before entering the Save dialog. If the target file format is jpeg, png other formats with very limited support for advanced file properties, that filename has to contain "-copy", because it is a copy. The point isn't that the result is a copy, the point is that the original file has to be copied to avoid your file being overwritten as a flat 8 bit file to satisfy the jpeg specification.

Previously, Photoshop was able to subsequently remove "-copy" from the Save dialog. That is no longer possible.

This is not a bug or mistake, but a deliberate security policy from Apple. The Windows version was changed because it has to work identically on both platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i said i fully understand why they changed this but they did not need to and could have an option to change it back.

Please read my post properly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not paying attention.

A jpeg always has to be a copy, if the original contains properties not supported in the jpeg specification. It always was a copy and always will be. Again, the issue is not that the result is a copy. It's because the original file has to be copied before it can be saved.

The whole issue here is that previously, Photoshop could remove "-copy" from the filename of this copy.

That is no longer possible on Mac.

It is still possible on Windows, but that means functional differences between the two versions, something that has never been allowed because plugins, actions etc has to work cross-platform, and also because there's a whole ecosystem of tutorials, education and so on that people actually make a living from. The price for letting them diverge is extremely high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the OP wishes, he can add his opinion to the Save a Copy feedback and discussion at: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-224-save-as-formats-have-disappeare...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite frankly I'm amazed at the storm of protests and outright hostility this has whipped up. We lived quite happily with this before CS5 and nobody questioned it. The ability to directly save out a jpeg was a clever workaround to the jpeg limitations, introduced with considerable fanfare in CS5.

But given the flood of complaints, we've seen some signals that they are at least contemplating letting Mac and Windows part ways this time. That has never happened before. If they do, the Save A Copy command will probably remain, but they should be able to strip "-copy" in Windows, because it's still possible there. In MacOS it's flat-out not possible anymore.

Oh, in case anyone contemplates jumping ship: no, Affinity can not save to jpeg - not even as a copy. Save only includes the native format. All other formats require loading a full Export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always, D Fosse gives brilliant and knowledgeable replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek, but this is truly the work of Sisyphos. Maybe that should be my new screen name. You keep repeating the facts, and people just respond with "I don't care about facts, I already made up my mind". So what can you do? You keep repeating the facts...and so the days go by.

Oh, just to be perfectly clear: I have no idea if they actually will allow differences to Mac and Windows versions. I've just seen hints that they are thinking about it. But they may well decide that no, the implications are too severe and the price too high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, to be honest, I had to look that one up. For the ignorant, like me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines