• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I replace one part of a layer but keep another part?

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I want to remove the wood part of this layer, but keep the shadow part, so I can replace the wood with something else. How can I do this?7e03e78c-c22e-ce6f-e311-660b30cc9026.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the floor, Delete the selected area pixels, Fill the selected area 46% black, Deselect.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the OP wanted to maintain the shadows along the (presumably) walls. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FINAL.png

1. Change the mode to Lab Color

2. Choose the Lightness channel (Fig 2)*

3. Select > All.  Edit > Copy

4. Choose the Layers Panel and add a blank layer

5. Edit > Paste

6. Return to RGB mode (Don’t merge the layers)

7. Turn off the bottom layer 

8. In the Lightness layer double click to bring up Layer Style

9. Replicate the settings shown above in the Blend If section. (Move the top right slider to the left to place the first slider point, then hold down the Option key to split the slider and move the left half of it to the position shown. (Fig 3)

Note: Step 9 is a judgement call. The sliders should be moved sufficiently to eliminate the current wood image but not jeopardize the vignetted shadow. The new image placed inside the area as an additional layer should be set to Multiply

--------------

* Although the RGB Red channel could be used instead of the LAB Lightness channel I found the Lab version to be a tad better at elimfinating the vertical lines in the current wood. None of the CMYK channels were adequate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines