How do I use a gradient from the library?

Participant ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using the Create From Image option in the Libraries pallette, how is that gradient then applied to a layer please? The UI for the Libraries doesn't give me any clues. Thanks for any pointers. Using CC 2019.

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for the same exact answer. I see it under the 'Gradients' section in the Libraries tab, but I have no idea how to implement it.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same question.  There are lots of gradients in my library that came from Adobe , but i cannot add them to the gradient list inside PS ???

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Margaret

Can you be more specific about where these gradients are located?  If you click on the drop down next to the gradient editor, the gradients there are also in the Gradient panel.  The same applies if you create a new gradient or group.  It automatically appears in the Gradient panel.  If I am missing your point, can you please give us some more detail, and maybe some screen shots?  Thanks.

image.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this is confusing. It sure isn’t obvious from the UI (Photoshop 2021), but I managed to figure out different ways to apply a Capture gradient in the Libraries panel. You can apply it as a gradient fill layer, or add it as a gradient preset. If you add it as a gradient preset, you can then apply it as a gradient map layer or as a preset for any other gradient in Photoshop (e.g. in Layer Effects).

One way is to double-click the Capture gradient in the Libraries panel. That applies it to the open document as a new, adjustable gradient fill layer clipped to the layer that was selected. But one non-obvious thing about that is it works only if the currently selected layer is unlocked. If your document is a single locked or Background layer, you must first click the layer’s lock icon to unlock it, then you can double-click the Libraries gradient. It’s very confusing if the document is just a single locked Background layer, because you double-click the Libraries gradient and nothing happens because the Background layer is locked.

The rest of the ways to use it depend on right-clicking the Capture gradient and choosing either Apply Gradient or Create Gradient Preset, depending on what your goal is.

Photoshop-apply-Capture-gradient.gif

Essentially, once you’ve added it to the Gradients panel as a gradient preset, you can use it in whatever way you wanted to use that gradient.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad C,

Actually I wanted to make the gradients inside the library a permanent choice inside the gradient panel- I think my questions was a bit confusing though.

So thank u so much for explaining how to do it in a detail I could follow.

Margaret

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines