Highlighted

how do you do Colour correcting successfully

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Im taking photos of furniuture to sell on my website.

I need the colours to be true. 

I find colour correcting images so hard.

I bought a grey card and set the white balance on my camera. Im now using the grey dropper on curves to help me correct the image but it's not helping.

Can anyone offer any tips for getting colours to look true to life? 

Im not very good at looking at an image and just knowing if I need to dark out magenta in the dark tones for example!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

how do you do Colour correcting successfully

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Im taking photos of furniuture to sell on my website.

I need the colours to be true. 

I find colour correcting images so hard.

I bought a grey card and set the white balance on my camera. Im now using the grey dropper on curves to help me correct the image but it's not helping.

Can anyone offer any tips for getting colours to look true to life? 

Im not very good at looking at an image and just knowing if I need to dark out magenta in the dark tones for example!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color correction is a big topic, probably too big to cover in this public, user-to-user forum.  

Start with this 20 min video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YDsdIo4MX4

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com
Check out another of my videos: "BREAKDOWN: Select and Mask vs. Refine Edge - Photoshop CC" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTw78XQNjAo -~-~~-~~~-~~-~- In th...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making color adjustments to camera raw files (assuming here) the best way to do this is in a specific order.  

Grey cards and color profiles are of limited value. Profiling the camera is a start, but understand that the profile is most accurate for the chart colors and loses its accuracy for other scenes and or products with different spectral reflectances.  So a camera profile is a start but is not going to solve all color issues.  

1.) Calibrate your monitor in a controlled dim neutral white light environment.  The monitor should be adjusted so the white point is visually white (match a proofing or printing paper)

2) Use a white background behind your image so that when adjusting the white balance you can see if the adjusted image is slightly off as compared to that white area.  Then adjust the white balance of the image first. 

3). Adjust overall brightness and contrast to match the scene.  The camera profile will adjust some of this but correct what the profile can not due to the dynamic range of the scene vs the much smaller range of the chart.  

4.) Then adjust color mixing to fine-tune the colors that still require adjustment.  

5.) Sharpen as needed for the output process.   

Follow those steps and you will get a long way towards your goal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 29, 2020 1