Highlighted

How many CPU cores?

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2019-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1295/
Since Adobe never say anything about the maximum CPU core uses, I finally found a lot of info from pugetsystems.com by testing with different CPU and GPU. I see that Adobe software takes advantages with clock speed and more than 8 cores wont gonna improve the performance dramatically.

But there are several people who do not believe what Puget said. There is no doubt that Adobe software take advantages CPU cores up to 8 but are there any official documents about CPU cores for Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How many CPU cores?

Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2019-CPU-Roundup-Intel-vs-AMD-vs-Mac-1295/
Since Adobe never say anything about the maximum CPU core uses, I finally found a lot of info from pugetsystems.com by testing with different CPU and GPU. I see that Adobe software takes advantages with clock speed and more than 8 cores wont gonna improve the performance dramatically.

But there are several people who do not believe what Puget said. There is no doubt that Adobe software take advantages CPU cores up to 8 but are there any official documents about CPU cores for Adobe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 08, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what Adobe product do you use and how do you use it?

Not all products from Adobe may be able to use many cores. Video processing is one of them. But also there is a limit in parallelism. As soon as the set-up is more expensive then the run, there is no interest. Also when all processors want to access the same resources, they will slow down each other.

Ants sometimes slow down individually just for not to slow down the group.

Look at the traffic: Jams are only when there is too much traffic. That means that each car is slowing down the other one creating more delay as when the cars would drive different times of the day...

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need technical information, not an assumption.

Apple is advertising that Mac Pro with 28 cores can run faster than 12 cores CPU. They believe that Photoshop's filter requires more than 8 cores to take advantages.

What;s the truth?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2019 0
Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did answer the question correctly based on the information you gave. As you gave now more information, I will move this from Adobe Creative Cloud​ to Photoshop​.

You will still need to precise the filter(s) you want to use.

Regards,
Abambo

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about other software?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2019 0
Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you using and what is the predominant software?

Regards,
Abambo

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2019 1
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post is old but I have to say kudos to your metaphor. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
jenndoeh LATEST
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Metaphors, plural 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 18, 2020 0
Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q:  I have a piece of string.  Is it long enough to do what I want to do?

A:  It depends.  How long is your string and what exactly do you want to do with it?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2019 2
Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we all use Puget Systems here.   There a few functions where Photoshop uses all available cores.  This was with a 5000 pixel brush sweeping corner to corner of a 40,000 pixel square document.  What I can't make Photoshop do though, is make full use of my RTX2070.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2019 1
Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not see any official documents on core usage.

As for your wider question - then whether you will make use of CPU cores or the GPU in Adobe applications depends on both which applications you will use and what you are going to do with them.

Photoshop, for example, will use all CPU cores when 3D rendering but will hardly touch the GPU during the same process. But the GPU is required for other functions (including 3D preview renders).  As Nancy said - how long is a piece of string?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for answering the question. I have the same broad question, I'm buiding a PC but i want to make sure Premier and photoshop is covered.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0