Highlighted

How to bring out the texture of a paper through my illustration ...

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm struggling to find the words to explain my problem but I'll try to be clear and put screenshots to illustrate.

Voila, I make illustrations on illustrator, and to make them more realistic, I paste them on the photo of a textured paper on Photoshop. Basically the goal is to act as if I had made the drawing on the textured paper directly.

So usually I use a ready-made thing called Atomica from True grit texture. I copy my illustration from illustrator, I paste it and place it in the Atomica .psd file, I put it to the desired size, and it works great thanks to a layer called "highlights", the texture of the paper comes out through the drawing , in short, it's nickel.

Today, for several reasons, I would like to do the same thing but on different papers. So there you go, I went to adobe stock, downloaded some textured paper (more white this time), and tried doing like what I explained just before.

The problem is, I can't bring out the texture of the paper through the design.
I tried copying the highlights layer from the Atomica .psd file, but the texture of the atomica paper stands out.

Here I hope it is clear, otherwise I can detail more.

I put you screenshots:
- the first is the atomica .psd file which works great
- the second is what I want to reproduce with a new paper but it does not work
- the third is when I paste the "highlights" layer of Atomica on the file I want to create, and it is the texture of the atomica paper that emerges instead of mine

Thank you in advance for the help you can offer me

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxelschubser | Most Valuable Participant

Too bad, but ok for me.

I'm going to try to give you some general advices on how to get a similar result using PS's own pattern structures and shapes instead. You probably have to "play" something with the values of the adjustment levels and blend modes of the structure layers.

Let's start:

• create a layer set with white background layer
  • (you see now the complete layer and layer set hierarchy - always pay attention to the active and visible layer)

background_structure_01.png

• create your shape layer above

background_structure_02.png

• go into the structure layer set and create a new empty layer
  • fill that layer with your wished structure - I did use PS own pattern "Gray Granite"
  • set the blend mode of this layer (for all bright areas) to "Multiply"

background_structure_03.png

• create an adjustment layer "Curves" and play with the settings eg for a bit more contrast
  • make a clipping mask with the structure layer ( [Alt]+Click on the line between both layers in Layers panel)

background_structure_04.png

•  duplicate the structure (pattern) layer
  • set the blend mode of this layer (for all dark areas) eg to "Screen"

background_structure_05.png

• now create some adjustment layers and always create a clipping mask with the duplicated structure layer
  • at first an adjustment layer "Invert"

background_structure_06.png

• next: eg adjustment layer "Curves" (example setting are shown in the screenshot) for much more better contrast

background_structure_07.png

• in my example the last one: eg adjustment layer "Hue/Saturation" (example setting are shown in the screenshot) for more flexibility - color - brightness - saturation

background_structure_08.png

Done!

I hope this explanation helps you to do what you want.

If that works for you

have fun

😉

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to bring out the texture of a paper through my illustration ...

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm struggling to find the words to explain my problem but I'll try to be clear and put screenshots to illustrate.

Voila, I make illustrations on illustrator, and to make them more realistic, I paste them on the photo of a textured paper on Photoshop. Basically the goal is to act as if I had made the drawing on the textured paper directly.

So usually I use a ready-made thing called Atomica from True grit texture. I copy my illustration from illustrator, I paste it and place it in the Atomica .psd file, I put it to the desired size, and it works great thanks to a layer called "highlights", the texture of the paper comes out through the drawing , in short, it's nickel.

Today, for several reasons, I would like to do the same thing but on different papers. So there you go, I went to adobe stock, downloaded some textured paper (more white this time), and tried doing like what I explained just before.

The problem is, I can't bring out the texture of the paper through the design.
I tried copying the highlights layer from the Atomica .psd file, but the texture of the atomica paper stands out.

Here I hope it is clear, otherwise I can detail more.

I put you screenshots:
- the first is the atomica .psd file which works great
- the second is what I want to reproduce with a new paper but it does not work
- the third is when I paste the "highlights" layer of Atomica on the file I want to create, and it is the texture of the atomica paper that emerges instead of mine

Thank you in advance for the help you can offer me

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by pixxxelschubser | Most Valuable Participant

Too bad, but ok for me.

I'm going to try to give you some general advices on how to get a similar result using PS's own pattern structures and shapes instead. You probably have to "play" something with the values of the adjustment levels and blend modes of the structure layers.

Let's start:

• (you see now the complete layer and layer set hierarchy - always pay attention to the active and visible layer)

• fill that layer with your wished structure - I did use PS own pattern "Gray Granite"

• create an adjustment layer "Curves" and play with the settings eg for a bit more contrast
  • make a clipping mask with the structure layer ( [Alt]+Click on the line between both layers in Layers panel)

• now create some adjustment layers and always create a clipping mask with the duplicated structure layer

• next: eg adjustment layer "Curves" (example setting are shown in the screenshot) for much more better contrast

• in my example the last one: eg adjustment layer "Hue/Saturation" (example setting are shown in the screenshot) for more flexibility - color - brightness - saturation

Done!

If that works for you

have fun

😉

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 03, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Black rainbow  

I don't have a French Photoshop installation. (I don't know which are the exact terms for the several blend modes in french language.)

It seems you need two layers with the wished structure in one layer set above of your art. Probably a normal white structure (which blend mode and opacity has this layer?) and a black (maybe inverted???) structure layer (which blend mode and opacity has this layer?) in a layer set (which blend mode and opacity has this layer set?).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @pixxxelschubser 

Do you have an idea about how to invert the white structure ?

On the atomica .psd file which works well :

White structure :

- Blend mode : multiply

- Opacity : 100%

Black structure :

- Blend mode : screen

- Opacity : 60 %

Layer set :

- Blend mode : pass through

- Opacity : 100%

I put you screenshots (I have set my photoshop in english)

Capture d’écran 2020-10-03 à 18.27.30.png

Capture d’écran 2020-10-03 à 18.27.40.png

  

Capture d’écran 2020-10-03 à 18.31.40.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again @pixxxel_schubser 

I tried to invert the white structure (layer/new adjustment layer/invert), and to put the sames blend modes and pocities than the Atomica file.

However it does not look so well (transparent and grey instead of blck), I put you a sreen shot of the result. 

I tried with a 30% opacity instead of 60% and it is better but in my opinion we do not see the texture as much as on the Atomica file and it looks far less natural (I put you a sreen shot whith the 30% one and of the original result on the Atomica file)

30%.pngAtomica.png

Capture d’écran 2020-10-03 à 18.40.57.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😉

these screenshots are much more better to understand your template file.

The "black" layer is not black or inverted - it seems only to be in blend mode Screen with lower opacity.

Is your Atomica.psd a free template? Could you upload the file on a hoster of your choice (Dropbox, or xup.in ) and link to here?

And additional your own new structure?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly it is not free... And the new texture too...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have licences and only I can use it 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 03, 2020 1
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad, but ok for me.

Let's start:

Done!

If that works for you

have fun

😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again @pixxxelschubser 

This is awesome, thank you very much for your precious knowledge, time and kindness

The final aspect looks more like oil than ink, so I will play with it to be able to also simulate ink 

Very best to you ! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 04, 2020 0