• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert an Excel sheet with RGB Colors values to a Photoshop Swatches Panel?

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community!
I have a problem that I've trying to solve for the last 10 days and I can not to find the answer...

>> I have an Excel sheet of color names with their RGB values that I need to load in Photoshop Swatches.
I've saved the Excel file as .htm and I managed to load the entire list in Photoshop. All the colors appears perfectly in the Swatches panel, but... rather than the name of each one It shows me the Hexa numbers (not the real color names). And they are a lot of Colors, to edit manually...

Somebody knows how to load the .htm, or even a .csv, to I manage to load the Colors, with its names, in the Photoshop Swatches Panel?

Thank you very much!!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thank you, but any of the links solve my problem...

I have a text list with color values, not images...
I managed to load the colors in ythe Swatches Panel, but I need to know how to load the colors AND its names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant to say that those links doesn't solve the question...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect your Excel sheet is not compatible with Photoshop's color swatches format.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy! It's compatible. My rgb color list is loading properly, in their rgb values.
And the formats I'm using are part of the suggested by Adobe to do exactly what I'm doing: Load a list of color from a text file. I've saved as htm and also as csv. The three formats are html, csv, and svg:
https://helpx.adobe.com/br/photoshop/using/customizing-color-pickers-swatches.html

Adobe doesn't explain too much beyond that paragraph where talk about the formats to save the sheet and the way to write the Colors' values in there [ rgb(255,255,255) ]. About how to put the colors' names... nothing.
The question is how the Swatches Panel can interpret not just the color values, but its names too.

How I must put the name of each color in the sheet?
I need to save a .htm or .csv file and then load it in the Swatches panel ("Load Swatches"). After that, what I expect is that the Swatches panel reads well the rgb values AND the Colors' names.

The solution may be is an script, I don't know... The Colors are opening very well in Swatches Panel. Just its names, not
I tried some scripts that I've found here in another threads, in that cases for Illustrator, but They didn't work for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andres15A9 wrote:

but... rather than the name of each one It shows me the Hexa numbers (not the real color names).

What is a "real color name" as defined by you? Colors have numbers. If you open the Color Picker for instance, you can see the HSB, RGB, CMYK, and Hexidecimal numbers. Also, they vary according to the color space they are in.

Excel uses names such as Accent 5, Darker 25% and Accent 3, Lighter 80%. When you change the Theme, the color in the slots change while the percentages remain the same.

Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator all support an ASE (Adobe Swatch Exchange) file. If you have swatches in this format, you can import them into any of these applications. The swatches need to be exported or save from one of these applications. ASE files cannot be saved from Microsoft.

Unless there is a script that can assign the proper name to the proper swatch, the process will be manual. Double-click a swatch and name it. Then use the panel menu to save the swatches so you never have to do it again.

Some examples of your definition of "real color names" will help us determine if this can be done.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, as I said on my post:
"I have an Excel sheet of color names with their RGB values that I need to load in Photoshop Swatches".
What I called "real names" after that, it was the colors' names that are atributted to the rgb values in my Color list, just that. To that rgb color values It was atributted certain names. I need to respect that names.
I know what is color value/color name LOL

Yes, I was trying all day with Adobe Ilustrators' scripts that appeared here in the community, in another threads, but they didn't work to me.

I know that one of the options is make it manually. But I'm trying to find some "less difficult" way to do that, because are too much colors.
The solution would be a script for Ps, as you say, but I'm not finding it yet...

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To rename a swatch, you just assign a new string to the "name" property of a swatch.

For example, mySwatch.name = "big bad blue"

You'll just need a column in your spreadsheet for the names, just like you have columns for the color values. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dilliam.
In fact, I already have that spreadsheet, with the Color names on the first column, and another three columns for the R G B values.
I don't understand exactly how to load the rgb values in Swatches, respecting each Color name too, not just the color values.
Is it a script that I need, right?

While I don't find the Ps Script, I'm testing with the Ai scripts that appears here in the Community.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all!

It's solved!
With the help of @Disposition_Dev , I'm finally using the Ai script that I pick from another topic. 🙂

(I'm new here and I don't know if there is a way to mark this posts as "closed"...?)

A big THANK YOU for all of you that tried to help on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave the link to that other AI topic with solution, so we mark your new post as correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines