How to copy a layer without copying the mask

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a layer that has some adjustments that were made with a mask.

Now I want to copy that layer without the mask to make additional adjustments to other areas of the photograph. How can I create another layer without the mask?

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there are other ways, but I copy the layer, then delete the mask by dragging the mask (not the layer) into the trash. Don't apply it when asked, just delete it.

~ Jane

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the layer, click the link between layer and mask of the new copy this will unlink the mask. Then drag the mask to the trash. It will ask you if you want to delete the mask. Say delete. Then you will have the layer with no mask. 👍

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion! I tried that and it didn't work for me.

On my picture, I changed it to black and white to hide some colors, then masked out everything but the small piece that needed to be black and white. When I follow your directions, I get an image that is all black and white. Is there a way to copy the image with the mask applied? I want to move on to edit some other portions of the picture.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JoeP47118379,

I can't envision what you're trying to describe.  Can you please use the Print Screen button on your keyboard to grab a screenshot including your Layers panel?  Then paste the clipboard contents into a web forum reply from the toolbar's photo icon.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, are you trying to copy the layer to a new board? If so, open a new art board and pull the original board off to the side. Then drag the layer to the new board. See pictures:

4FA2973F-6CB7-4D88-BA5A-FCD04AFAC84C.jpeg

8D86AE55-89C6-410E-A1C8-19ADA0F3D7D7.jpeg

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, If you are just trying to merge down the mask and I recommend you duplicate the layer. Then:

AB627463-85B9-46C6-B967-8ECBD531D8B0.jpeg

 Hope that helps...

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines