• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Create a Golden Ratio Grid in Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign

Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the Twitter logo have in common with the Parthenon and Da Vinci’s Last Supper? They are all designed using the Golden Ratio.

Also the Golden Ratio is found in almost every aspect of nature.

The Golden Ratio can help you create natural looking compositions that are pleasing to the eye. In this blog How to Create a Golden Ratio Grid in Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign   I want to show you a simple way to create a flexible Golden Ratio grid you can use to improve your designs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice blog

An alternative quick way in Photoshop is to go to the crop tool - in the options bar set it to Golden ratio

You may need to move the crop handles to make the grid appear - no worries just wiggle them and put them back to the original position (you are not going to crop)

Then drag a guide from the ruler over the golden ratio crop grid

You can now leave the crop tool without cropping - but the guidelines will be in the ratio you require.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Golden Spiral Problems.PNGNice tip.

2 problems though:

1 - It draws the spiral upside down and I cannot find a way to flip it

2 - It draws the spiral out of proportion.

See attached screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/neil+wilkes  wrote

Nice tip.

2 problems though:

1 - It draws the spiral upside down and I cannot find a way to flip it

2 - It draws the spiral out of proportion.

See attached screenshot

Hi Neil

Use Shift+O to cycle the orientation of the overlay and the direction of the spiral - so there are 8 variations to cycle through (4 of which are correctly drawn)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woo Hoo.

Thanks Dave - superb stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your clear instructions. I had spent 3 hours creating my own grid then found your article. I'll look here first next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, just wondering, does anybody know how to make a selection out of this gird, let's say I 'd like to illustrate how the golden spiral works, I'dl like to "highlight" the spiral into a new layer, put some color like red or something and display it over the picture itself...? any reply will be much apreciated 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to make a flippant remark along the lines of the Golden Spiral being all very well, but what if you are not drawing a snail?  But then I found the image below, and realized that there is no argument against evidence like this.

Image result for golden spiral snail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor, why is it that when I am scrolling through various threads the ones that make me bust out laughing are almost always yours? This is hysterical!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truly - the Trump one made me literally almost fall off the chair here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be erratic:

Download ScriphsonTrees panel which can run .jsx scripts

ScripshonTrees - スクリプトパネルの特設ページ イラレ、フォトショのエクステンション Illustrator PhotoShop InDesign After Effects Prem...

and then downloaded this Goldencrop jsx script and put it in Adobe scripts folder.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/goldencrop/

Once run and then cancel is selected in crop mode- one can go back to layers and select and deselect the ones you want.

The benefit is of seeing multiple colour coded grids for the same photo/document.

Screenshot 2018-08-12 at 8.37.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very efficient and easy solution I use for a long time in Photoshop : golden grids, spiral and other combinations as custom vector shapes .

A Deviant Art user (Masaakikaji) has created these shapes (for CS2 !!) in a .csh file. Just have to import it as a custom vector shape in Photoshop and it's done.

Fibonacci-233 by masaakikaji on DeviantArt

Capture d’écran 2019-01-23 à 17.01.52.pngCapture d’écran 2019-01-23 à 16.59.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need a blog. Just use it like a brush to have a quick look at your drawing and undo it. Thanks for the link. Works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hullo. I would have loved to check out the blog but regrettably the link doesn't work anymore... 404 page not found. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Take a look at the following article to move designs between Photoshop and Illustrator for different workflow that suits your design objectives: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/move-designs-between-photoshop-illustrator.html

Also, if you are looking to work with Illustrator design in Photoshop? See this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/use-illustrator-artwork-in-photoshop.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, it did not work. I used the crop tool to creat the golden ratio, dragged the ruler guides across it, but every time I did it, as soon as I left crop, the golden ratio disappeared. Same thing happened with the golden spiral. I'd really like to get a hard copy of the golden ratio and golden spiral to use as a layer. Any other suggestions? I'm using Photoshop 23.53/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines