How to create a mat around a photo and fill with color

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This used to be a fairly easy process in CS5, but since updating to PS 2021 I have not been able to do it. I often want an ellipse-shaped mat, but want to color the outside of the ellipse a color and cut out the center of the ellipse where the main subject shows. If you don't want to explain the process, even if you can point me in the direction to search for the correct terminology, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to create a mat around a photo and fill with color

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This used to be a fairly easy process in CS5, but since updating to PS 2021 I have not been able to do it. I often want an ellipse-shaped mat, but want to color the outside of the ellipse a color and cut out the center of the ellipse where the main subject shows. If you don't want to explain the process, even if you can point me in the direction to search for the correct terminology, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 09, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

a. Use the elliptical marquee tool to draw your ellipse as a selection

b. Invert the selection Shift +Ctrl+I

c. Use menu Layer > New Fill Layer Solid Color

2021-01-09_16-55-00.jpg

If you want a softer edge you can feather the selection between steps a and b

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2021 2
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am probably missing something, but when I did this, the picture was still covered, and when I did the shift + ctrl+ +l, it filled in the whole space with color in that layer, 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 17, 2021 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this will work for you. I(oops, I noticed that I'd missed the "elliptical mat" part of your original question,

as I've written this out and made the screenshots I'll leave it up as it may assist someone)

I am presuming that by "mat" you mean like a frame makers mat -  a border around the image?

1:set your background colour swatch to the desired border (mat) colour (as an illustration I used orange) 

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 08.29.28.jpg

2: Go to Image/canvas size in Photoshop's menu and set how much you'd like to add, in this case, I increased the canvas by a small percentage, you'd need to experiment here I guess.

you can see the background colour here (screenshot below) - so, click OK and you now have an image with an orange border added to 5% the width of the original image.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 08.27.49.jpg

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 18, 2021 1