• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a PS document that I can add two photos in to print?

Contributor ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two 10x8 photos that I would like to line up side by side to print out. I created a PS doc at 10x16 and then added the photos. When I tried to change the layout it would change the layout of the two photos and not the background, so with that I had to change the background to a regular layer which allowed me to set the canvas size and then align the two photos on top of each other.

With that, I believe the two photos are aligned (I used the align buttons for selecting each photo individually along with Layer 0) and cover the entire canvas, but is there a way to just double-triple check that's the case?

For some reason I needed to adjust one of the photos by dragging out the right hand side of the pic as I could see the transparent background, or do I even need a background/Layer 0 at all after aligning the two photos?

Thx

Thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Hi

You asked a couple of questions:

• To make sure the layers are lined up, you can use Smart Guides or when you multiple select both layers, use the alignment options in the options bar. You can double check by dragging down a guide from the top Ruler (View > Rulers)
  • You do not need either a Background layer or a Layer 0 and you can safely delete it. Background layers were required through PS 5 (not CS5). Transparency was introduced in PS 5.5 and they have not been required since.

I don't see a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You asked a couple of questions:

• To make sure the layers are lined up, you can use Smart Guides or when you multiple select both layers, use the alignment options in the options bar. You can double check by dragging down a guide from the top Ruler (View > Rulers)
  • You do not need either a Background layer or a Layer 0 and you can safely delete it. Background layers were required through PS 5 (not CS5). Transparency was introduced in PS 5.5 and they have not been required since.

I don't see any other questions unless I missed one?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

TYVM for the reply.

So basically when I create a new doucment the background is serving as a placeholder for the canvas size I want until I go File--> Place Embedded for the two photos and then once I've aligned he photos the way I need, I can then delete the background?

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

The Background layer is a unique layer that was required in the early days of Photoshop before transparency was introduced in PS 5.5, and it still retains most of the attributes it had then.

When you choose new, you can bypass the Background layer by asking for a transparent layer, but you will still start with a layer.

You can't have a PS document without a layer, so you will get one when you create a new file. When you create additional layers (in your case, with File > Place) and don't need that first layer anymore, you can safely delete it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/key-concepts/background.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Jeffrey. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JeffreyW,

If your goal is to only print photos, you can use Adobe Acrobat or even Acrobat DC, 

Select All photos that you would like to print, and right click, choose print

You can choose option that procure printing side by side, you can adjust margins too

After that you can save the PDF File for futur printing if you desire

~ Abdallah BERAIDA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abdalla,

Thx for reply and recommendation to use Acrobat. I usually do need to do some touchups of the photos first.

I did select the two photos and chosoe print and then selected print to PDF option, but I'm not seeing where I can select a custom size for printing like 10x16, etc. I only see the built in formats like full page, 4x6 in, 5x7 in, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD Template file are often used to facilitate what you want to do 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TYVM - I will look for some PSD template files for this. Never crossed my mind!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines