• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a subtle, manila folder noise texture from macOS Big Sur folder icon?

Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

How does someone create this generative, random subtle manila folder texture from macOS Big Sur icons? 

Screen_Shot_2021-05-13_at_8.41.01_AM.png

Those little bumpy, almost subtle bevel noise pattern. If not exactly pixel by pixel, I just want to generate as close as possible appearance pattern from it.

It also appears on from macOS Yosemite to Catalina.Library Icon copy.png

It feels like this is a generative Fractal noise from After Effects, but for Photoshop. But unfortunately I cannot figure out how to do it here.

I'm tryna make a public vector design resource of these File Folder icons, but it's important that I have the pattern as well as a raster graphics overlay, if not exactly as it is, close to it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think some Gaussian Noise on 50% gray scaled up and stretched horizontally a bit set to Blend Mode Linear Light might get close. 

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 10.29.11.png

Screenshot 2021-05-15 at 10.29.21.pngScreenshot 2021-05-15 at 10.30.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I liked your approach here. 

I tried every approach possible, making my own Noise blur from Grey 50%, scalling it, making it a Pattern, using that Pattern on a Clipping Mask, using that Pattern on Bevel Texture, can't achieve it as I can't remove the Bevel sides, I don't need that, and even simple Blending Modes.

The best I'm able to pull off is a Linear Light (as you've demoed)or Exclusion blending, but since it's Grey ti's darking the whole folder icon? And at best, it's just polkadotting dark spots around it. I tried a bit of putting Motion Blur horzontally to stretch it too, but that only trailed the dark spots. Is there any better way? 

Can you share the PSD or Cloud PSD file here so I am able to dissect and implement it myself?

PS : what's with the Gradient Overlay, and where is that placed in this approach?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»The best I'm able to pull off is a Linear Light (as you've demoed)or Exclusion blending, but since it's Grey ti's darking the whole folder icon?«

How is Linear Light not working out? 

Linear Light is one of the Blend Modes where 50% gray has no effect. 

»can't achieve it as I can't remove the Bevel sides«

Are you aware that you could apply a Pattern on a Group and have the Bevel on a Layer in the Group? 

Could you please post a screenshot taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

»what's with the Gradient Overlay, and where is that placed in this approach?«

That only served to recreate the overall gradient of the folder image in your example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines