• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create Duplicate Layer below the current layer in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to duplicate a layer, but have it appear underneath the original? I know Command clicking does this for new layers, but doesn't seem to work when dragging a layer to the new layer icon to duplicate. Any ideas guys?

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

You could also just hold the Option/Alt key down while dragging the layer in the layers panel down and that will put

the duplicate layer down below the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As of now there is no automate way of doing so, however you can record Action, then duplicate layer, and go to layers menu item, and click move down. Stop recording, and assign to shortcut key. please check this article to know more about actions.Actions and the Actions panel in Photoshop

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Bo+Peep  wrote

Is there a way to duplicate a layer, but have it appear underneath the original?

no

you can move the layer down as a step after it has been made but what is the point... by definition they are duplicates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is something you do a lot, then make an Action:

Cmd J

Cmd [

Unless you use a small screen, and need to toggle the major panels on and off to make space, I suspect most Photoshop users miss out on some useful single key shortcuts.  With the exception of F1 (Help) all of the Function keys can be used as single key triggers for your Action.  The only one I tend to use is F5, so it makes sense to me to re-purpose those keys to more useful functions.

And don't forget that Keyboard Shortcuts, along with Custom Toolbars and Menus can be saved with new Workspaces, so you can 'borrow' their default functions, and switch back something like Essentials if you need the regular shortcuts.  I actually use F6 and F7 to select and reset my Triple Monitor, and the Essentials Workspaces respectively.  I think most of us drag panels around our screens for convenience — this is especially so for regular posters on this forum who move panels to get screen shots for forum answers — so it is sooooooo nice to clean things up with a single key press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also just hold the Option/Alt key down while dragging the layer in the layers panel down and that will put

the duplicate layer down below the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer.. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a way to do this when Option-dragging a layer on the canvas? I do this frequently when duplicating and aligning objects as it is more efficient. Thanks!

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines