• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create Rectangle and square brushes in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how to go about it as it looks difficult to do. How can you create a rectangle or square brush in Photoshop, or are they available to download. If you are able to download brushes, what is the correct directory or folder that these need to be placed in.

Do brushes come in different sizes or can you adjust the size of the selected brush.

The reason for needing a rectangular or square brush is to get into tight corners of particular areas.

Thank you!

{Thread title edited by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the community!

As you're looking to create rectangular or square brushes in Photoshop, you can try following the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps:

1. Create new document
  2. Select the rectangle tool in the toolbar
  3. Set to pixel option
  4. Set color to black
  5. Draw a square using the rectangle tool
  6. Go to the edit menu
  7. Select the define brush command
  8. You can also add effects to the square such as blurs or motion blurs or use free plugins such as the (google) Nik plugins to modify the square in 1000s of ways and then define the brush. You can also create the square using different fills by using selections and filling the result with gradients or patterns or other images et and then define the brush.

You can make far more complex square-themed designs using multiple rectangles, etc, or perhaps generate different square designs in Illustrator and pasting those into Photoshop and defining those square brushes.

You can also find many examples of square brushes via splatter and spray designs as well as 10 Square Brushes and Urban Squares brushes etc

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the web for Photoshop  Brushes hair, grass, eyes. etc.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some Square Brushes that ship with photoshop under Legacy Brushes loaded from the brush preset picker.

sqb.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm using Adobe Photoshop version 22.2.0 Release on macOS.

I have finally managed to locate the Lehacy Brushes, but what I have noticed is when using a square brush, the top left, top right and bottom left corners have a 90 degree edge which what I would expect, but the bottom right corner is rounded, so I'm unable to get into some tight corners.

Why would the bottom right corner be rounded, could there be something wrong or maybe an error that I could have made.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why they put all that functionality into the Options, rather than the Brush Settings panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EXCELLENT. This works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the rounded corner you see is just the cursor and not the actual brush. If you go to Photoshop>Preferences>Cursors and change the Painting Cursors to Full Size Brush Tip the curve is much less pronounced. (an adobe photoshop software engineer would have to give an explanation as to why the right lower corner of square and rectangular brushe cursors seems curved)

Plus the fact that the Brush Tool uses Anti-aliasing, it's very hard to get a sharp aliased edge when actually painting.

If you need a sharp edge to get into corners switching to the Pencil Tool will offer that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, Brush aa can be annoying sometimes, so I guess that's when you'd use the Pencil.  I don't even have the Pencil in my primary workspace — looks like I am denying myself a trick or two.

[EDIT]  Right after I posted this I remembered that when aa gets in the way, I pretty much always select and fill.  You can use a selection almost like a brush moving it into position so long as a selection tool is active.  In fact you have better control because you can nudge with the cursor keys.  When you get close, hide Extras so you see better what is happening, and nudge and fill, nudge and fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines