• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to crop a large batch content aware?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am looking for a way where I can just crop content aware for a huge batch where each image is different, they are all scans with different post stamps on it, but I would like to only cut out the group of stamps out of it. So I don't want to cut the stamps out seperately per image, but keep the group together with less blank space around the stamps. For example:

LN47655.jpgLN47655.jpg

Thank you 

Eric

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose if the images are reasonably similar an Action (or Script) could be created to roughly isolate the pertinent area. 

Is the background always that darkish paper/carton? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, possibly, but the content which is placed on the black paper is always different. Is there a possibility to do it content aware through action or script? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no option to employ Photoshop’s content-aware features for this (and Select > Subject does not seem to do well with this, either). 

But like I said an Action might be able to prodice fairly meaningful results, for example 

• Duplicate Layer

• Dust & Scratches 

• Curves 

• Color Range (Midtones)

• QuickMask Mode 

• Select All

• Contract Selection (to disregard the other background) 

• Invert 

• fill with black 

• exit Quick Mask Mode 

• Expand Selection 

• Crop 

• remove the filtered layer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never used Quick Mask Mode as I never understood what it is for. Now I think I get it. Correct me if I'm not right. Thanks to QMM we can keep made selection to make another one for any reason, and when we finish such middle task we quit QM to restore original selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Action works on the Image you posted. It could be batched if all scans are like the one you posted.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for quick response. All my scans are the same format but the content of them are all different. Which is why processing with actions doesnt really help unless like you say if it are the same formats of content. I daily have thousands of different scans and they have to be different, so I am looking for an automation that crops content aware around the post stamps inside the black background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will all the scans have the same background like the one you posted? If yes the action can be batched. 

Daily you have thousands of different scans. That is more than a scan per minute is that all you do every day.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, this solution seems to work, but I don't understand how you made this action, I can't find all the steps -_- 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which step/s in @JJMack ’s Action are giving you problem? 

• Select > All 

• Select > Modify > Border 

• »Make Work Path« from the Paths Panel’s pop-up menu 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the step with 'make path' and 'stroke worth path'? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• »Make Work Path« from the Paths Panel’s pop-up menu 

• »Stroke Path« from the Paths Panel’s pop-up menu 

strokePathQuickSelectionTool.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a work path with the selection, but I can't find the stroke path? So I should just choose the quick selection tool and click on a darker part or? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That scan is different it has a white background the scan a stamp collection on a striped page.  You need to remove the white scanner bed then crop the page. The Action would need a Trim  white background step add as it first step.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»So I should just choose the quick selection tool and click on a darker part or?«

Onviously not. 

strokePath.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it! Now the thing is that my photoshop opens every action with raw and it doesnt save auto. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @JJMack  said: If the background is similar the Action should work no matter the number or exact position of the stamps (except if they are too close to the edge for example). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Now the thing is that my photoshop opens every action with raw and it doesnt save auto.«

What is that supposed to describe? Please post screenshots to clarify. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the Actions Panel visible. 

Is there some problem when you try to run the Action via Batch or Image Processor? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines