Highlighted

how to edit live shape using anchor points without turning live shape into regular path?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's been a while since I've used shape layers (since the days of vector masks). Now every time I try to edit my vector, I get a message that says "This operation will turn a live shape into a regular path. Continue?"
I do not want to turn it into a regular path, I simply want to change the shape using the anchor points, like in the good old days.Help would surely be appreciated!

Thank you

Surely there's a way to make a bunch of edits without having to deal with that message and convert each time to a shape layer again!

Live Shapes offer features like Rounded Corners that depend on the Path having certain properties; once you start editing the Paths (by dragging around or adding/removing PathPoints ) those cannot be assumed to be correct anymore, so you can either use »Transform« (when you want to maintain the principal shape anyway) or abandon the Live Shape property.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

how to edit live shape using anchor points without turning live shape into regular path?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's been a while since I've used shape layers (since the days of vector masks). Now every time I try to edit my vector, I get a message that says "This operation will turn a live shape into a regular path. Continue?"
I do not want to turn it into a regular path, I simply want to change the shape using the anchor points, like in the good old days.Help would surely be appreciated!

Thank you

Surely there's a way to make a bunch of edits without having to deal with that message and convert each time to a shape layer again!

Live Shapes offer features like Rounded Corners that depend on the Path having certain properties; once you start editing the Paths (by dragging around or adding/removing PathPoints ) those cannot be assumed to be correct anymore, so you can either use »Transform« (when you want to maintain the principal shape anyway) or abandon the Live Shape property.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 17, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as i can remember, you can convert it back to shape by clicking on a button ( make shape ) in the Option bar of path or direct selection tool

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 17, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. But as soon as I start to edit that shape layer path, I get that message and I do not have ANY other options than to make it into a path. Surely there's a way to make a bunch of edits without having to deal with that message and convert each time to a shape layer again!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 1
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is true, this is regressive. Live shapes evolved from vector masks (a solid color fill layer masked by a vector), which were super editable using transform or anchor points. Why would they make it more difficult to edit a shape using anchor points???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to misunderstand, Live Shapes have not replaced Shape Layers.

Vector Masks still exist, but they and regular Paths can contain (multiple) Live Shapes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 1
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ILRladybug:

Live shapes evolved from vector masks

Live shapes actually originated in Illustrator in CS6 as I recall (just rectangles), and then they were enhanced in Illustrator CC, and added to Photoshop CC.

The advantage of a live shape is easy editing in the properties panel—making basic edits like adjustable rounded corners available to someone without vector drawing skills. Paths have always allowed someone with vector skills to create whatever they want. But c.pfaffenbichler is 100% correct—a shape is either one or the other.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 1
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the alert – if you don’t want to get that but just start editing any subPathItem you can disable it by simply checking »Don’t show again«.

liveShapeIntoRegularPath.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I have misunderstood. How can one create a shape layer as in the good old days. That is no longer an option when creating a shape.
Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is that not an option anymore?

Shape Layers still exist, whether their Vector Masks contain Live Shapes is irrelevant.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2018 0
Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ILRladybug :

To create a shape layer in Photoshop CC 2018:

1. Select a shape tool
  2. Choose Shape from the Mode menu in the Options bar
  3. Add the shape

Screenshot 2018-06-20 08.09.25.png

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2018 1
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not want to turn it into a regular path, I simply want to change the shape using the anchor points, like in the good old days.

Either it’s a Live Shape or it isn’t.

As I don’t even get the warning when I edit a Live Shape into something else I assume there may be a »Don’t show again«-checkbox – please post a screenshot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2018 1
D1verDad LATEST
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking the box "Show Transform Controls" on the top menu bar allows some adjustments without getting the message.

Show Transform Controls.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 11, 2020 0