• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Edit Over a Transparent Layer

New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, if I have a background image with 2 adjustment layers on top and I want to apply say, a filter onto what I can see, when I create a new (transparent) layer it says I cannot apply the filter because the layer is empty. 

Is there a way to create a new layer consisting of everything I have edited below? The only way I can seem to get around this is by merging all visible layers down then duplicating it... but that would mean that I can no longer edit my adjustment layers. 

Is this the only way?

I'm new to Photoshop and trying to learn more about layers and non-destructive editing but I seem to have gotten stuck here. 

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Select layers > Convert to Smart Object, then apply filters. Your layers remain editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select layers > Convert to Smart Object, then apply filters. Your layers remain editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines