• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to emulate Gerhard Richter brush effect?

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently saw a movie loosely based on artist Gerhard Richter and am trying to emulate an effect he used. Looks like he drug a very large brush horizontally across still wet paint. I have been able to get a minor result similar, but there seems to be a limit to the size brush that can be used on an image say 4000 x 3000 pixels, so the effect I have gotten has not been large enough. I have most recently been trying to use the wind filter but still not getting the result I would like. Seems like I would need to be able to use a brush maybe 1,000 pixels wide and make it able to look like it drug across wet paint.

Here's one of his images:

digital-blog-feature_RICHTERgerhard-Ella.jpg 

My latest attempt is using the wind filter. To get this much effect, I have to downsample a copy of the image to about 1/4 to 1/3 original size, apply the filter two or three times, the upsample the result to original size and apply it over the original image. I then have to mask out the effect over the face, as the filtered version totally obliterates any recognizable detail in the face. Here's my attempt using the wind filter (I had to mask off the face as all detail was totally gone:)

GUNNELS_0713-COLOR-MASTER-1170pix.jpg

Any way to use the smudge tool to get this? Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

CB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displace (as a Smart Folter naturally) with an appropriate Displacement Mask might offer an option. 

Screenshot 2020-10-14 at 08.30.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First to be clear-the very first image in my post is a painting by Gerhard Richter and a discussion of it can be found here:

https://blog.qagoma.qld.gov.au/richter-style/

The other image of the blonde in my first post and the two in this post are mine.

c.pfaffenbilcher-

Thanks for the idea. I tried it but it was a bit more crude than I was looking for but it did get me to thinking. I used the same file that I used with the displacement map as a selection to paste black into a layer mask on a copy of the background, applied the layer mask to background copy, which left a layer with alternating lines of image data and transparency. I then was able to run mulitple iterations of the wind filter and got a more refined result with the filter effecting only every other line of image data. I had tried something similar using a dot screen on the layer mask, but the line screen was much more effective. Both methods were way too much to leave unmasked on the face, especially with a pose looking directly in the camera. On a pose more like the one in the Gerhard Richter painting I could have left it.Thanks a million for getting me thinking!!

USING MOTION BLUR AND DISPLACE: GUNNELS_0713-COLOR-MASTER-MOTION-DISPLACE.jpg

USING A LINE SCREEN ON A LAYER MASK TO ELIMINATE HALF THE DATA, THEN APPLYING THE WIND AND GAUSSIAN BLUR FILTERS:

GUNNELS_0713-COLOR-WIND.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines