• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photoshop community,

I feel really annoyed and stupid.  I cannot fade the edges of an image to save my life!

I have been searching through the forums and use cases yet everything is extremely complicated and ineffective.

This seems like such an easy task.  I want to fade the edges of my images all at the same standard, while keeping the image shape (in this case a square).

can someone provide me a how to to create images like this...

I did this in word (sadly):

2018-01-29 17_17_46-Brochure - Print V1.0 (Last saved by user) - Word.png

My Goal:

Create a square shape with the proper feather edges and then layer mask each image I want to fade in, so that I can produce these type of images (in single serving) rapid fire.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to properly feather edges in photoshop?

This has been my Achilles heel.

Thank you very much for the support!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Of course you could just use a layer style adding a white inner glow from the edge

You can then save that style (click on New Style) and add it to your library for other images

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Casey5FED 

Please show a screen shot of the Effects panel for Layer 2 so we can see your settings. Also, what are the Effects you have on the Layer called "Rectangle 1"?

~ Jane

58DE1B79-5301-4B6C-B225-8C1A30F3DBD4.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The correct answer below just illustrates how complicated and unintuitive Photoshop is. I would never think of searching on "Inner Glow" to find out how fade an edge. And then "blend mode" is "screen"? I would never have found that either. There has to a simpler way to do something so common and obvious. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines