• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to find info for Missing Linked Smart Object

Advocate ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a file from another vendor, and they have a linked smart object layer inside the photoshop file which is missing.

Is there any way to determine the file name/path/owner of the layer? In Illustrator and InDesign, this is possible, but I don't see any way to determine any info on the link. I need this to communicate to the vendor what is missing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Hi,

You don't get the missing link dialog?

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 4.24.34 PM.png

Another place to look is in the Properties panel with the layer targeted.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If they still have the source PSD, they can run the File> Package... command and send you that.

regards,

steve

Package Linked Smart Objects

You can package the Linked Smart Objects in a Photoshop document, such that their source files are saved to a folder on your computer. A copy of the Photoshop document is saved along with the source files in the folder.

1. Choose File > Package.
  2. Select a location where you want to place the source files and a copy of the Photoshop document.

Any audio or video Linked Smart Objects in the document are packaged as well.

Note:

You must save a file before packaging the Linked Smart Objects that it contains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they still have the source PSD, they can run the File> Package... command and send you that.

Thanks, but that is the problem. The files often come from several different (and often, quite large) agencies (who aren't too knowlegeable most of the time), and it's possible that they won't know exactly who worked on the file at the time the link was created. it's also very possible that the file was provided to them from a different agency, and they may need to know where it came from.

I believe I have found something that may get me closer. The file data has the file path if the smart object is a linked file:

<xmpMM:Ingredients>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">

<stRef:linkForm>ReferenceStream</stRef:linkForm>

<stRef:filePath>file://System/Users/macuser/Desktop/This_Is_My_File_Name.png</stRef:filePath>

The last line has the file path (including file name) of what was linked.

But, if the smart object is linked to the cloud, then I get a cloud ID, and I don't see anywhere I can decipher the actual file name. And, unfortunately,  the file I'm working on has a cloud asset link.

<xmpMM:Ingredients>

<rdf:Bag>

<rdf:li rdf:parseType="Resource">

<stRef:linkForm>ReferenceStream</stRef:linkForm>

<stRef:filePath>cloud-asset://cc-api-storage.adobe.io/assets/adobe-libraries/cd1db8fb-eed4-4bbc-9d64-be75baeff4ae;node=8dcd2a0e-2510-4e90-8cc1-d95c11f047d9</stRef:filePath>

<stRef:DocumentID>uuid:c79fae39-ac85-3345-81ba-5166cb1930a3</stRef:DocumentID>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You don't get the missing link dialog?

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 4.24.34 PM.png

Another place to look is in the Properties panel with the layer targeted.

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do get that, but it's useless to me in this case.Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 10.01.20 AM.png

I guess that probably is the actual file name that was placed in this file, but since it is so generic, I did't realize that it was. I was hoping for more information than that. I can get the full path (which often includes helpful information such as drive names and any other user folders within the folder path) from any Illustrator or Indesign file, so I was hoping for something like that here.

I'm guessing that what I am looking for is just not possible.

Thanks for the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've too had this problem when working at an agency, I think the default of creating a library causes a lot more problems when passing over a psd file, even if they share their library from you, people end up using more than one library and not all files are uploaded. at to a certain point since they are missing the files themselves (still working off of missing clouded files) they are unable to package the files.

The library system doesn't work as well as it should which in the end creates more of a nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look here to use filters to solve this quickly and easily - Work with Smart Objects in Photoshop - scroll down to mid page

Filter the Layers panel by Smart Objects | Photoshop CC

1. In the Layers panel, select Smart Object from the filtering pop-up menu.

Photoshop Filter layers by Smart Objects

Filter layers by Smart Objects

1. Click one of the following icons:

•     Filter for up-to-date Linked Smart Objects
  •     Filter for out-of-synch Linked Smart Objects
  •     Filter for missing Linked Smart Objects
  •     Filter for embedded Smart Objects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!!!!!

Thanks, I never post a thank you, but this so deserves it! Answered my exact query.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this resolved, as we've run into exactly the same issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, so have I, and the above solution isn't working.  Photoshop is still telling me that it won't package because I am missing linked Smart Objects - but when I filter for Linked Smart Objects there are only two.  And they are both fine.  Annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help the same problem. absolute nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was facing the same issu. Until now when I discovered how to do it! 
- simply cTrl + S (save your file and close it 
- then close the file and reopen it

- a dialog box will open showing the missing link, click the replace option and replace it with any random picture. 
- The picture or the link file gets replaced with the new one. 

Now you know which file was linked mistakenly / purposely .

Delete the layer and import the required image/ requirement again
Tadaa you are done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines