Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to free Ram after closing a project in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am working on big projects with multiple stack photo and it take up to 18-25 Gig of ram per project. So when I want to switch on another project I try to close the project before openning the other one so it could Free up some ram, but it doesn't. I tried to purge the cache but it does nothing when no project is open. the only way to free the ram from photoshop is to close it and then wait for 1 min so the process can close and then re-open photoshop.

I want to know if there is a way to clear the ram when closing a project? so i can work on others projects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

If you have photoshop cc 2015 and newer then yes you can purge the ram while photoshop is still open.

From this post on photoshop.com by@J453

Photoshop: Is there a way to free up memory used by Photoshop? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

"New in Photoshop CC (2015) - If you hold the Option (Mac)/Alt (Windows) key while selecting About Photoshop, or hold the Option (Mac)/Alt (Windows) key and select Edit>Purge>All – we flush (release) all RAM and scratch disc in use by Photoshop."

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to free up the RAM between projects. Photoshop will hold on to RAM and use it appropriately for whatever you are doing and on whatever project it is doing at the time.

The only time it will give it back is when the OS requests it or when Photoshop closes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Photoshop will not let the os take its ram back, the thing that will happen is the os will swap ram to the hard drive when there is not enough physical ram installed and THIS is the problem because the system become not responsive when the hard drive are saturated at 100%

20180104_232501.jpg20180106_133125.jpg

This is the result of opening 1 project, close the tab without quitting Photoshop and then opening another project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have photoshop cc 2015 and newer then yes you can purge the ram while photoshop is still open.

From this post on photoshop.com by@J453

Photoshop: Is there a way to free up memory used by Photoshop? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

"New in Photoshop CC (2015) - If you hold the Option (Mac)/Alt (Windows) key while selecting About Photoshop, or hold the Option (Mac)/Alt (Windows) key and select Edit>Purge>All – we flush (release) all RAM and scratch disc in use by Photoshop."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's a new one on me Jeff - thanks

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the feature was ever widely promoted and other than a small blurb in the whats new under Other enhancements at the bottom of this page, i couldn't find any reference to it in the actual online photoshop help.

Feature summary | Photoshop CC | 2015.x releases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, this little trick will save me a lot of time in the future

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

doesn't work in 2024. purge options are greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you press Alt in windows you cannot select any menus or the about as they just close. So how do you do this trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to click on one of the menus like Help, keep holding the mouse, press the Alt key, drag the cursor to the menu item you want and release the mouse button and then the Alt key. In this case click on Help, keep holding down the mouse, press Alt, drag the cursor to About Photoshop and release the mouse button then release Alt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines