• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get pure black lines in line art?

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have black line art that I created in an iPad app that did not have CMYK, only RGB. My plan is to upload it to a POD site, which wants all art in CMYK. The art, over 100 pieces will be in a PDF. The art is in black and each page has a gray dashed line (to help people cut out the page) in addition to the art. I inserted the art as a PNG into Pages (perhaps I should have used PSD, but it seemed to work OK as a PNG).

I have been using Acrobat and converting to Grayscale, which also converts it to CMYK. I have been selecting Preserve Black and Promote CMYK Gray to Black. However, after getting several proofs, I've been getting inconsistent results, and I give up on Acrobat as my understanding of it is too limited. I'm now converting each image individually (over 100 images) in Photoshop.

I want the line art to print black, and the dashed lines to stay light gray. I plan to put the art into Mac Pages then export as PDF. I had saved the art as PNG (yeah, should've used PSD) so now there's an extra step to convert to PSD and I created an action to do that.

The question is, what is the best way to guarantee the line art is black and the dashed lines are gray? Can I just do PSD and CMYK? Or should I convert to Grayscale? Or Bitmap? Bitmap gives me a white background which I already know will not work, as it has to be converted to CMYK and then I get shadows from the pasted-in file. The gray dashes are part of the Pages file. So I paste the art in as transparent line art to Pages. So would just CMYK PSD and a black line be enough? Is it OK to not use Acrobat? Been struggling with this for a long time, just want something to work!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?