Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get rid of very light grease marks on a complex surface

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

First post here so apologies in advance for any misteps. 

As the subject suggest i'm having difficult removing these sublte but very annoying grease like marks from my product photo.

Due to the complexity of the wood grain pattern against the subtlty of the marks, it is proving quite difficult to use standard spot healing/ clone stamp methods to clean up.

Does anyone have any methods or know of any online resoruces that may help with this?

Thanks kindly everyone! 

Oak Test 1 (marks).jpg

Oak Test 1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Actually the stains are so soft here, that a simple curves adjustment and a soft brush takes nicely care of it. If the stains were hard edged it would have taken a lot more work.

Oak-Test-2.jpg

Set up a curves layer to lighten appropriately, and paint in the adjustment with a soft brush at low opacity:

curves.png

The top layer is temporary, just to increase contrast while working so that you better see what you're doing. Discard when finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clone Stamping and painting may still be necessary, but Frequency Separation might help somewhat. 

Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 12.43.07.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will give this a go. Can you reccomend any good resources on reading/ learning about frequency separation? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, none comes to my mind – naturally I read about it myself at some point (or watched a tutorial) but I can’t remember where exactly. 

The Filters I used can seen in the Layers Panel, the top Layer is not selected, so it is not evident in the screenshot but generally I use »Linear Light« and an Opacity around 50% in such cases. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi thanks for you help! found the other method a little easier in the end. but great to lean about frquency seperaton anyway so cheers! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually the stains are so soft here, that a simple curves adjustment and a soft brush takes nicely care of it. If the stains were hard edged it would have taken a lot more work.

Oak-Test-2.jpg

Set up a curves layer to lighten appropriately, and paint in the adjustment with a soft brush at low opacity:

curves.png

The top layer is temporary, just to increase contrast while working so that you better see what you're doing. Discard when finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly! Thankyou so much 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines