• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to implement the background in a picture?

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I hire a webdesign company to design a website. The designer implement the homepage. I cut the header part of the page, as below:

Question1.png

In the upper section, the background is using a very light blue. And I can notice the color in the border is deeper than those in the center. I ask the designer how to implement such a feature, but it seems that the designer cannot understand me very well. After several communications back and forth, I give up and decide to ask on the PS forum.

Can anyone tell me how to implement such a background? Is it using "Inner Shadow" effect or "Gradient Overlay" or other effects?

Thank you very much. !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Use an inner glow set to multiply blend mode

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use an inner glow set to multiply blend mode

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm​

Thank you very much for your help.

Is there a way to increase the width of the shadow in bottom? I check the original background, it seems that the shadow in bottom is much more wider than that in the top. I try to increase the size of inner glow to 250 px but seems still now wider enough.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't apply Inner Glow unevenly, but you can apply a Vector Mask over the layer to achieve what you after - you'd need it to create the spout at the bottom anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ccw123  wrote

davescm

Is there a way to increase the width of the shadow in bottom?

Hi

Put a white layer underneath. Set the blend mode of the layer with the glow to multiply then transform that layer so it it extends outside the canvas.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm

That's a great method. Then is it possible to increase the width for all borders. Currently I try to increase the size of the "Innser Glow" to 250px but it still not wide enough. I want to increase more. How to do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply the layer style to a smaller rectangle, where the 250px limit gives you the cover you need, then convert it to a smart object and transform it to the final size (you can always reopen the smart object to change the style if required)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know that this is a graphic, rather than an HTML-based effect? I see no reason to use graphics for a simple gradient when you can do it with CSS: CSS Gradients

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The designer first design with PS, then they will implement the graphic with HTML & CSS. Currently we are still in the design stage so this is still a graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this effect (and many others in the Cascading Style Sheet of that page or globaly using CSS gradients.   Much better than using an image and will keep your web page fast instead of requiring the user to download the full frame image. 

Using CSS gradients - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP already said this is in the design stage and not asking for a CSS? That aside I'd use CSS box-shadow, not gradient

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unessary critisem.... the goal is to Help the OP. 

In this case help is to disuade the use of an image and use CSS instead. 

Better design.  

box-shadow - CSS: Cascading Style Sheets | MDN  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a colored vignette, which can be applied in numerous ways. I typically use a solid color layer then a rounded rectangle pixel mask and blur the mask to taste. Then you can adjust the opacity to determine how strong it is. This has the advantage of being easily editable in the PSD at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thanks to all of you.

Dave's solution is the best one. And I solve the problem by asking the designer to resend the source PSD file and find the background layer, then adjust the borders like Dave's suggestion. As for how to increase the width of the shadow, it is a bit complex to me. And the background layer in the source PSD has enough width for me, so I just adopt it.

Thanks again for all your helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines