Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import a new script into photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning!

I was just wondering how I can import a script I found online into photoshop?

The script I want to use can be found here: https://justpaste.it/1hqjj

But I don't know how to get it into photoshop...Where do I paste it? How can I use it if its not a javascript or a file type that is accepted by Photoshop?

All help would be greatly appreciated, this script for photoshop will help me out a bunch and allow me to work faster but I just don't know how to use it.

Thank you for any and all help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

On mac copy the script here:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018/Presets/Scripts

Windows would be similiar path

Restart Photoshop then go to File >> Script  to access.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cybercubs,

As you're looking to add a script into Photoshop, please  check out this article and see if it helps: Scripting in Photoshop

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On mac copy the script here:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018/Presets/Scripts

Windows would be similiar path

Restart Photoshop then go to File >> Script  to access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply!

Should the script be saved out as a js? or a jsx?

Should this be done in another program like word etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not use Word!

Paste the text in the Editor and save as txt file (plain text). Rename the file type from txt to jsx, if your version is higher than CS2 (till CS2 rename to js).  Ignore the warning message "Changing the file type will destroy the file".

Move this file to Photoshops scripts folder, open photoshop and run your new script and enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome thank you!

Which Editor are you referring to exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Notepad++ installed on my machine, if that can help you something. Its free and its editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the standard editor of your OS. Important: save as plain text! and rename as described.

Or you can install Adobes Extendscript Toolkit which can save *.jsx directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scripts are normally copy into  Photoshop  presets\Scripts\ folder.  However I install Script I add to Photoshop into my own Scripts folder tree and  I link all the Photoshop versions I have installed Presets\Scripts\ to my scripts tree.  That way my scripts are installed in all Photoshop versions and there is only copy of the scripts to maintain.  Scripts will not be listed in Photoshop Menus if Photoshop is running when you add a Script.  Photoshop builds its menu item list when you start Photoshop. Photoshop does not monitor all the script folder and dynamically update menu items.

IMO it is a good practice to keep things you add to Photoshop out of Adobe created folders that way you know what you add to Photoshop know your add-ons are and you can add the to any version of Photoshop you need and you will not lose them  if Adobe  folder need to be delete and recreated.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly.  I have a special folder on my macbook, specifically just for imported scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

So since the script Im trying to use is a copy and paste. Should I create a word document paste it there then save it as a .js (for javascript) then have it saved in a  folder not in Adobe script folder instead for example on my desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi JJMack!

For the life of me I cannot get this to work and I have searched endlessly. I have installed the script to the presets\scripts folder (see photo) and I can never get photoshop to recognize it. When I go to Scripts, I still have to go to browse to find it. When I go to the preset manager, there isn't even an option for scripts. I have tried pulling the jsx files from the sub folder to the main one etc etc. Any ideas what to do? I am going crazy trying to solve what seems to be a simple problem.

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2018 Oct 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines