• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Import PSD as Layers That Cascade?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing some camera work, with multiple passes. I do this with PSD files for each edit. So for the first PSD file, I'll do my color correction and exposure in camera raw. I save that as my first PSD. Then I open it as a copy, and do my clone tool work. Save that. Then copy/open a third and do something, etc, etc.

Normaly I just flatten each file and save as a new layer in the next save file.

My question is, how do I use the previous PSD file as a live layer (like you would in After Effects), where if I edit the other PSD files, the changes will be reflected later in the work-flow? Also, will they cascade all the way down? Meaning if I tweak the exposure of the first PSD file, will it be reflect in final/export PSD file I'm working in, even if it's like five or six files later?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can place a PSD file in another PSD file as a Linked Smart Object - it may not work as you intended in your scenario though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help! You're right that the files don't cascade. But I was able to drop the PSD files, one into another and I can just drill down in the same PSD file that way. To it kind worked out.

However, one more question. It's kind of annoying have to make each smart object it's own PSD file and save them separate, then drop them back in using the File>Place Embedded option. So is there a way to just seat one smart object into (within the same PSD file) and drill down that way? Instead of having to make multiple save files? So if I have an image, then convert it to a smart object and add a filter. How would I drop that smart object into another smart object, which will get it's own filter that affects all beneath it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can create the instances of a Smart Object by duplicating it within the same document, and if you do, editing the original Smart Object content will affect all of its instances (there are exceptions.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why don't you just do everything in one file? Do you color correction - select all layers, save as smart object. Do your clone stamp work, select all all layers and make into a smart object again... you can keep drilling down to make changes and it's all contained and connected. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines