• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to jpg compress detailed images to be small enough for website

Participant ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my new website I've got a few images with a lot of fine detail that jpg compression has a hard time compressing, resulting in files that are too big for the website. 

Website image size is 2040 x1360, though if I wanted the images to read optimally on a 4 or 5K monitor I'd be looking at 2500 x 1700 pixels. Recommended maximum file size is 550kb. 

I have two particular files in mind, attached. One is looking down at a running track with an athlete, red and black pebbled surface, lots of detail that the algorythm is obviosuly having trouble compressing. The other is a strongly backlit landscape looking through tree leaves with a lot of midrange and highlight detail in the leaves that has the same issue.

I'm using Photoshop 2021, sRGB, jpg compression level 2. Even at approx 2040 x1360 compression level 2 I'm getting file sizes of not much shy of 1MB and even dropping to level 1 isn't getting me much better compression. These are pretty critical images on my site, flow and sequencing is an important part of my work, so hoping there's some solutions I can look at.

Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I first thought it was metadata, but it actually looks like you hit the limit of jpeg compression. As such, it's an excellent demonstration of how it works.

In your case I would read "recommended size" as just that. If it goes a little over, so be it. Don't lose any sleep.

Since you can't do any meaningful tests on images that already have been jpeg-compressed (the compression artifacts are just treated as even more "detail" in the new compression) - I tried with some of my own detail-rich images. This one I got down to 579 kB at quality level 20, using Save For Web. But your example is probably even trickier, with more local contrast.

SFW.jpg

I would recommend Save For Web/Export over Save As, since you can directly preview the final result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines