• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to lock guides by default in Photoshop?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway how to lock guides by default? Everytime I open Photoshop I have to re-lock guides to avoid moving them accidentally. Is there anyway to this? Please help.

{Thread title modified by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We do not have a way to lock the guides in Photoshop by default. You can use the keyboard shorcut to lock the guides when you launch Photoshop.

You can submit this as a feature request here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop

This forum is monitored by our developers. They can check the feasibility of the feature and may include it in a future update.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To band together community efforts, I suggest liking or adding to an existing feature request on the Photoshop Feedback site originally submitted by Stan Grabowski back in 2017 JAN:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-lock-guides-by-default/5f5f45b74b56...

Unfrotunately, you'll have to create yet *another* login to submit to the Photoshop Feedback site. But similar to Stephen's reply to the thread below, there's a helpful Step-by-Step provided by Jeffry Tranberry on the above link that may fill in any gaps.

With our powers combined we may be able to get locked guides to recognize our desired default states!

Much excite! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the advice from Nikunj. The only other alternative that I can think of is to create a single-step action to lock guides. Next, set up the Script Events Manager to play this action when Photoshop is opened and when a new document is opened etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lock guides cannot be recorded in action

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never mentioned "recording" the lock guides command...

lock.png

You are correct, it can't be "recorded", however, it can be inserted into an action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here is a scripted version:

lockGuides();

function lockGuides() {
	var c2t = function (s) {
		return app.charIDToTypeID(s);
	};
	var s2t = function (s) {
		return app.stringIDToTypeID(s);
	};
	var descriptor = new ActionDescriptor();
	var reference = new ActionReference();
	reference.putEnumerated( s2t( "menuItemClass" ), s2t( "menuItemType" ), s2t( "toggleLockGuides" ));
	descriptor.putReference( c2t( "null" ), reference );
	executeAction( s2t( "select" ), descriptor, DialogModes.NO );
}

Or the more concise 1 liner:

app.runMenuItem(stringIDToTypeID('toggleLockGuides'));

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines