• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a complex spiral

Enthusiast ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can make simple spirals using Filter > Distort > Twirl.

But how do I make a complex spiral like this one? The rays initially spiral clockwise, then change direction towards the end of the picture. In addition, the center of the spiral - the vortex - disappears, hidden by the rays.

Is that something you can do with Photoshop ir Illustrator's default settings? Or do you need a plugin? Or is it something you have to do manually?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

For those kind of complex twisting shapes I tend to turn to 3D software.

Just for demo, I started with a simple radial made in Photoshop by making triangle shapes and repeat transforming the rotation around the centre.

davescm_0-1612474260656.png

I then imported it into Blender 3D as a plane. I subdivided so that the plan was made of many faces. Then I just twisted the mesh by selecting a small face in the middle and moved and rotated it, using proportional editing so that nearby faces twisted on a scaled basis. 

davescm_1-1612474279751.png

Rend

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that is quite complex!  I don't think I could do that.  If anyone is going to be able to help it is our Dave

About davescm - Adobe Support Community

spiral.png

I tried Free Transform > Warp > Twist, then cropped to move the centre towards the bottom right corner and FT'd >warp > Twisted again, but mine is UGLY!!!

image.png

Maybe some sort of weather event modeling software that runs on a Super Crey (Dave is currently building his own Crey, but COVID — and the US military — are slowing the process)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a nice try. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If anyone is going to be able to help it is our Dave  About davescm - Adobe Support Community"

@Trevor.Dennis , that's a link to @davescm's profile page. We have tagging back again now. If you want it to show in his notification feed, type the @ symbol followed by his user name.

Nice spiral!!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those kind of complex twisting shapes I tend to turn to 3D software.

Just for demo, I started with a simple radial made in Photoshop by making triangle shapes and repeat transforming the rotation around the centre.

davescm_0-1612474260656.png

I then imported it into Blender 3D as a plane. I subdivided so that the plan was made of many faces. Then I just twisted the mesh by selecting a small face in the middle and moved and rotated it, using proportional editing so that nearby faces twisted on a scaled basis. 

davescm_1-1612474279751.png

Rendered it looks like this. You can twist/untwist however you choose.

Render.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thanks for the tip. I'm going to give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Blender to the rescue again 🙂 Awesome solution @davescm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines