• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a crooked rectangular selection.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be greatly appreciated if anybody knows how the make to make a crooked rectangular selection!!

I've tried to rotata a rectangular selection, but apparently there's no way to make it "empty" so I can rotate it without rotating the image underneath.

I have Photohop cc2015

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

After making the Selection choose Select > Transform Selection. You can move, rotate and change the dimensiions of your Selection. Then click OK

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After making the Selection choose Select > Transform Selection. You can move, rotate and change the dimensiions of your Selection. Then click OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering 🙂 but the point is that I want to rotate the selection BEFORE I transform whats inside it - like rotating an empty selection without changing the image underneath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That what I had written. To put it another way, make the selection and when you see the marching ants defining the Selected area, choose Select > Transform Selection. The marching ants defining the area can then be moved, rotated, have their dimentions altered while the image is unmoved. Only the Selection has been altered. When you are satisfied with altering the marching ants outline, click OK to rreturn to marching ants on thre image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats strange, you're talking about "transform" under "edit" right? (where I can chose to Scale, Rotate, Skew, Distort etc.).

I can only move the empty selection (marching ant) as long as I havn't choosen any transform yet, but the istant I choose "Rotate" (in transform), it will also rotate the image beneath.

Maby somethings gone wrong with my Photoshop :'(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more time:

Having made a selection of marching ants, in the top menu bar choose the word "Select"

You will get a drop-down menu. Choose the one that reads "Transform Selection."  Trust me.  It is on the list.  You will be presented with your selection and handles -- little boxes. Try them out. See what they do. You will be happy to see you can use a handle to rotate the selection. You can tug on a handle to change the size of the Selection. You can click inside the selection and drag it to a new position. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK YOU!

I must have been staring myself TOTALLY blind on "transforming selections" as being under "edit" and never considered to look anywhere else (talk about tunnel-vision 😄 )

Thanks again (and again!!!) Can't believe it was so easy! 😮

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

@Norman Sanders wrote:

choose menu: Select > Transform Selection (and not menu: Edit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Thanks!!! Just found out how easy it was, and that I've been totally focused on "Edit" as the only way to Transform selections 😛 (talk about tunnel-vision 😄 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Default:

There are several transform commands:

Edit > Free Transform 

Edit > Transform > ...

and

Select > Transform Selection. 

Norman said Select > Transform Selection. This will transform the marching ants. The Edit > Transform commands transform the pixels within the selection. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Thanks!!! Just found out how easy it was, and that I've been totally focused on "Edit" as the only way to Transform selections (talk about tunnel-vision 😄 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries! We all do that at one time or another. 😊

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another approach would be to use Quick Mask mode and the Move tool (with Show Transform Controls checked). An advantage of this is you can also run filters on the selection itself (not the contents) to modify its edges, such as Liquefy or Color Halftone. When you exit Quick Mask, the selection will be modified, but the image will be untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines