Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make a drawing 9x6 feet in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! 
I need to draw a black-and-white image in Photoshop, which then will be printed in 9x6 feet resolution and then glued to a wall in a room. I've never made something this large digitally, so I have some questions:
- What file parameters should there be? Do I have to create a file with a 1:1 ratio(madness!)?
- What DPI to choose?
- Should I start with RGB or CMYK?
- Save in .tiff?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Work in RGB or greyscale color mode, as the image is to be viewed from a distance, it can have a low resolution, say 75PPI (not DPI, which is a printer resolution). Supply a JPG or PDF/X-4  but check with the company who's printing the poster first.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work in RGB or greyscale color mode, as the image is to be viewed from a distance, it can have a low resolution, say 75PPI (not DPI, which is a printer resolution). Supply a JPG or PDF/X-4  but check with the company who's printing the poster first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Derek!
Would around 2100x3200 px be enough or should I create a larger file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

108inches x75 PPI = 8100px

72 inch x75PPi = 5400px

(Check my arithmetic!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've been very helpful. Thanks a lot! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9'x6' is a 3:2 aspect ratio.  Do not make a 9'x6' with a 300dpi print resolution  a 100 DPI print resolution will do and the file will be 9 time smaller then the 300DPI 9'x6' image 77,760,000 MP vs 699,840,000 MP

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're a photographer, you'll have a more immediate understanding of pixels and how many you need (not as many as a lot of people think).

My Sony a7rIII delivers 7952 x 5304 pixels. Here's the amount of detail you get with that - the second is a straight crop from the first:

resolution1A.jpg

resolution1B.jpg

Pixel sizes in this neighborhood will basically work for anything, whether magazine spread or roadside billboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines