Highlighted

How to make each layer in Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just at the beginning of my photoshop learning journey and trying to copy images to learn my skills.

I have this image form the adobe stock images and I just can't figure out what effects and techniques they would have used. Can someone provide me some guidance on how to produce each layer from centre through to the crust?

Shahzad5FC8_0-1603920404984.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by mglush | Adobe Community Professional

Hi!

There are some really good tutorials on creating surface textures, but even better there are some excellent stock photos that you can start with--or capture your own. When I used to teach Photoshop, one of the class assigments was to go out and look for textures and scan them to have as a library. Then we would put all the textures together so that everyone in the class had a copy of them. People came up with some really interesitng ones! Old book covers and pages, rusted metal, aged wood, you name it. I would recommend taking your camera and going for a walk -- you will find lots to work with.

Then, using the different tools in Photoshop will give you hours of fun in developing your own textures. If you do a search on Creating textures, you will find multitudes on the internet. I believe the best ones will be the ones you develop!

Let us know how it goes!

Michelle

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to make each layer in Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just at the beginning of my photoshop learning journey and trying to copy images to learn my skills.

I have this image form the adobe stock images and I just can't figure out what effects and techniques they would have used. Can someone provide me some guidance on how to produce each layer from centre through to the crust?

Shahzad5FC8_0-1603920404984.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by mglush | Adobe Community Professional

Hi!

There are some really good tutorials on creating surface textures, but even better there are some excellent stock photos that you can start with--or capture your own. When I used to teach Photoshop, one of the class assigments was to go out and look for textures and scan them to have as a library. Then we would put all the textures together so that everyone in the class had a copy of them. People came up with some really interesitng ones! Old book covers and pages, rusted metal, aged wood, you name it. I would recommend taking your camera and going for a walk -- you will find lots to work with.

Then, using the different tools in Photoshop will give you hours of fun in developing your own textures. If you do a search on Creating textures, you will find multitudes on the internet. I believe the best ones will be the ones you develop!

Let us know how it goes!

Michelle

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Welcome to Photoshop! The image you're showing looks like it was created in a 3D program and not just with layers in Photoshop. You can use the 3D features inside of Photoshop to create it, but being a newbie, I would suggest you learn the functions of the program before you try your skills at 3D. Check out the help screen when you open up Photoshop to see some good learning resources, or let us know more of what you'd like to focus on and we can give you some suggestions.

Have fun and enjoy your Photoshop Journey!

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Michelle for the guidance it is appreciated :). In all honesty I find it too hard to learn a top without making something hence this choice. But I take your point that I should aim for something more simpler. 
i may have confused the question but I didn't want to know how they created the semi circles; I wanted to know how they created the actual surface features. Would there be a pointer on the photoshop techniques used here (I am assuming that's the kind of tool needed to make this)

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Let us know how it goes!

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2020 0