Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to obtain poster effect

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I am trying to realise a poster similar to this one and I was wondering if any you know how to get as close as possible to the result of the attached picture.   I'm mainly working with Image -> Layer Styles ... and Blending Mode of each level. 

What I love from this example and would like to reproduce: 

- The general b/w 1960s look with the glossy black and white

- The colour palette is amazing, yellow and cyan.

- The different kind of blendings: foreground woman silhouette with flat b/w and cyan tone, background image of the man taking picture light cyan tone. The highly saturated/contrast black and white woman in the right corner. 

I'm struggling especially to achieve the foreground woman effect, what do you think is the best process to use? 

i misteri di roma 63 poster.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try splitting each section into separate layers (for different treatments on each) then use a gradient adjustment layer on each.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the pics you want use for this poster and we will check waht we can do…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To desaturate the individual Layers one can use Hue/Saturation or Black & White Adjustments on the Smart Objects. 

Then Solid Color Layers (or Color Overlay Layer Style) can be used set to Screen (to make the black a color) or Multiply (to make the white a color). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the help!! Very much appreciated so far. I didn't think about using the gradient adjustment layers at the beginning. 

Here is the work in process: 

I'm not yet satisfied with blacks, but maybe could they be corrected as the last step? 

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 19.50.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see some Smart Objects but several plain pixel Layers without Layer Masks and with the effects applied destructively apparently. 

And as far as I am concerned that’s not good. 

As for the »blacks« you can use Curves Layers for example to esit each Layers’ contrast. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only one no Smart Objects is an experiment to I did to try to get darker black tones

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.11.27.pngThis is without using cut-outsThis is without using cut-outshere you can see deeper dark tones (this level is b/w and blending mode on multiply)here you can see deeper dark tones (this level is b/w and blending mode on multiply)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whereas using the Curves Layers is working very good on the black and white right corner image, on the central silhouette I don'tScreenshot 2020-04-04 at 20.18.04.png like the result 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Layer set-up doees simply not seem useful to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you should try to keep all the Adjustments editable, so either Adjustment Layers or Adjustments applied to Smart Objects. 

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 21.23.03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you are saying,  the result looks very good in your example thank you . 

How did you set up the Hue/Saturation 1 ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hue/Saturation is set to -100 Saturation. 

But you may get superior results with Black & White, because Hue/Saturation simply averages out the three channels. 

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 10.58.20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the foreground woman, I would :

1. On smart Object A > filter camera raw > textures to 0
  2. New smart object by copying layer A to a new layer B (same content new SO)
  3. Filter Highpass on layer B
  4. Play with layer B blending modes…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been thinking about this very interesting topic.

At the time in the 60s quadricolor printing was very expensive and designers used to work a lot with 2 or 3 colors and using screens to combine them…

So what it is important always use the same matching colors. Here apparently they used Black /Blue/Yellow. It was not actual Cyan or real Yellow…  It could have been other inks.

So consider the use of Photoshop Bichromy feature… I mad a video (in french but you can see what i did anyhow) in this way.

Keep safe y'all!

It is on YT : https://youtu.be/rw-4G6pgJio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone for responding! 

Although the final piece really depends on what images one is sourcing, I believe @didiermazier latest post is really getting close to the original example, especially in achieving the central character hue. 

I've found the use of gradient helpful as well. 

Here is my final result

prova.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines