• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent layer mask from changing the shadow?

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a layer in my PSD file. The layer has some effects, such as "Inner Shadow" and "Gradient Overlay" etc. Now I want to grab a block from the layer, therefore, I try to add a layer mask on the layer. However, I find the layer mask not only pick out the block I want, but also move the shadow all inside the block, which is not desired. How to prevent this?

My PSD file can be downloaded from Dropbox - Problem1.psd - Simplify your life

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Your Shape layer has two mask the Shape Path vector mask and the Normal Layer Mask.  Layer style pixels doe not exists thar are rendered for the layers visible pixels.  You can separate the two mask my moving the normal layer mask to a group the the shape layer is in.  The Layers style will be rendered foe the full Shape layer.  Then it will be masked in the group composite view by the group Layer mask.

The shape layer itself only  has the Shape Path Vector mask. As Chuck wrote

Capture.jpg

Also Changing the l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can Group the Layer and apply the Layer Mask to the Group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Shape layer has two mask the Shape Path vector mask and the Normal Layer Mask.  Layer style pixels doe not exists thar are rendered for the layers visible pixels.  You can separate the two mask my moving the normal layer mask to a group the the shape layer is in.  The Layers style will be rendered foe the full Shape layer.  Then it will be masked in the group composite view by the group Layer mask.

The shape layer itself only  has the Shape Path Vector mask. As Chuck wrote

Capture.jpg

Also Changing the layer style Knockout can do what you want.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines