• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove background and not just make it look transparent. ?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having some frustrations here.

I manage to remove a few backgrounds and make it look transparent in photoshop. After saving the file as .png, apparently the the file still has the "frame" that used to be the backgroun around the picture.

How can I remove the brackground, including the frame in which the background used to appear? 

The way I originally did it was by using the magic wand or magnetic laso tool, then did a mask layer / vector mask, and it showed the background in black color and the item I want in white in the layer panel.  On the actual picture it showed as if the background has been removed and it was not a transparent item.  Once I saved it as .png it still kept the frame in which used to show the background. 

video here:

This is how it looks on photoshop

1122.JPG

This is how it looks in Character animator

1133.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Correct answer is:

Check the Ignore White in the Advanced tracing options.

Boom! white background is removed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try taking the PNG files directly into Character Animator? I'm not sure but I would suspect an issue related to using the Illustrator files in Animator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking the .png file directly to animator apparently works, for at least the one file I did just take over.

However I would like to convert them into vector so that I can resize them around the same size and look more uniform.

Maybe if I take the photoshop file directly into Illustrator and then trace it, maybe I'll get rid of the frame that I don't want. 

Illustrator files normally work just fine with Character Animator. I create most of my images in Illustrator and then send them to Character Animator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point about the image tracing - I forgot, but Image trace (I blieve) does foreground *and* background. You may have to expand/ungroup and delete the white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct answer is:

Check the Ignore White in the Advanced tracing options.

Boom! white background is removed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines