• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove fine black outline from image

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s the issue:  I had a series of images printed and printer's final jpegs to me have a black outline that shows up when I post the images to my web site. I have searched and searched for instructions in how to remove it. I've searched under "frame," "border," "outline," etc. but nothing I've found seems to addres what looks like a fine black border around the image. Can you please show me the way? Many thanks. glgracey 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Engaged , Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

My guess is that the image was on a black background before so what you are seeing is a 100% black trapping outline. 

Try:

1. - with layer highlighted - Select the "thing" with the outline. 

2. Go To SELECT - MODIFY - CONTRACT.

3. Enter the pixel amount you want the selection to move in and hit apply (ok/return)

4. Invert the selection

5. Hit delete to get rid of black edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

tienne220880292121_0-1638643638373.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just cropping the images 1px around all four sides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've tried that. The black line goes with the crop. Wondering if line has something to do with a "stroke." I've seen instruction to go to View/Extras/Hide Frame Edges but nothing happens. Saw another instruction to go to Edit/Stroke, then select the fame and set the stroke to None or 0, but that instruction has to do with InDesign and I'm in Photoshop so I don't have those options in my Stroke window. Thanks for responding. Lorraine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also try Image-Trim:

Annotation 2019-09-23 104419.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, tried that. Assume I uncheck all in Trim Away box. Correct? Nothing happens when I do that. Also notice some images with black outline have nothing checked in these boxes and line appears anyway. Would also add that line isn't apparent in Photoshop, but does appear outlining the images in Lightroom. Am happy to remove outline in Lightroom if anyone can give instruction. Many thanks for your help. Lorraine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yes, tried that. Assume I uncheck all in Trim Away box. Correct?" No you should checkmark all of the boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that the image was on a black background before so what you are seeing is a 100% black trapping outline. 

Try:

1. - with layer highlighted - Select the "thing" with the outline. 

2. Go To SELECT - MODIFY - CONTRACT.

3. Enter the pixel amount you want the selection to move in and hit apply (ok/return)

4. Invert the selection

5. Hit delete to get rid of black edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn’t create the layers. I’m working from the jpeg sent to me by the printer, who put the outline there. I imported jpeg to Photoshop. Hence, there’s only one layer, no specific layer with outline applied. MODIFY is grayed out. Thanks. L.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it was originally shot on a black bg and your tip worked - Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This is extremely helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you certain it is in the image and not a css style being applied on your website adding a 1 px frame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, quite certain. Nothing has been done to my website. Only jpegs referenced here have the black outline. All other website images are without it. Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post one of the jpegs so we can see the issue.

That said - if I understand you correctly, there is something strange in your workflow.
You appear to have sent some images to your printer who has printed a set and you are now going to edit then post the printer's jpeg files to the web? Why not prepare a new export direct from your master files?

Every time you edit then save a jpeg the image is degraded (that is the nature of jpeg lossy compression) so any jpeg should be a first export from the master, whether that is in high pixel size to send to your printer or reduced pixel size to post on the web.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one of the images. I think I understand what you're saying. I'm using the jpegs sent to me by my printer as the master files. He vastly improved on the original digital files I sent to him. My original files are nowhere near as great looking as what he did to them in Photoshop. I have emailed him to tell me how to remove the black outline and I will post his response. You've all been so great in helping me out on this issue. 

***Here is the jpeg sent back to me by my printer. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi the line in your image is easily removed with the crop tool - however that is still a screenshot. I was going to look at the original to see if the black line was in the actual jpeg or being added when you posted it on your website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I asked the printer to remove the line for one image because it was being used for an invitation. I have now asked him how he did that so I can do it myself and I can let you know the answer, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, one more thing. I then posted the image mentioned above on my web site and there was no line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, I asked printer for instructions. He fixed the issue without telling me how he did so. Wanted to pass along resolution, but sorry to say I don't have one. Thanks for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happened to review some of Ben Willmore's photoshop lessons and ran across what I think is the answer to my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops. I hit return and posted too early. Here's a description of creating a border edge, and therefore how to delete it, which was my issue: Choose shape tool on Tools Panel. I’ll use Rectangle as an example. Note this will create a separate layer in your layers panel. Click within the image and drag where you want border edge to appear. The shape will be in your image’s foreground color. Now go to “fx” in layers panel and choose “inner glow” (again, as an example), which takes you to a “Layer Style” window. Under Blend Mode, choose Multiply (which makes the border act like ink). Click on the square in Blend Mode and choose a color. Control size and opacity with sliders and click on Preview to see effects. Click okay. Return to top of Layers Panel, where Opacity and Fill are located. Lowering Opacity erases the effect. Don’t use it. Use Fill. Lower it all the way. It will retain border effect, but won’t obstruct your view of what’s underneath. To save as a style, go to Window menu and click Styles. Click on little page icon (with turned up corner). New Style window pops up. Name the style and click on Include Layer Effects and Include Layer Blending Options. Click ok. Obviously, to get rid of the border, just delete layer from panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I agree completely.

I did a test on this myself.

10 uses = no visible degradation unless closely analyzed. Still OK for office use and printing if

50 uses = color muddies up - imo the level of difference at this point is to the same degree as saving as a png in regards to color loss and you lose most brights. I advise non-use atindustril level.

100 times = muddy and colors completely changed. Unprintable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A. Assuming this is part of the image and not something to do with the website or artboard/template for original art:

Method 1:

1. open in photoshop

2. enlarge (from center) the whole thing about 2-3%

3. recrop to size. 

4. Select the image

5. copy and paste in front and size to original scale

6. select all on bottom layer and fill with white/ecru/tusk/lamp, whatever...

Method 2: 

1. open image in photoshop

2. make selection inside the black outline

3. invert selection and fill

B. But the way you're talking about this it sounds like something that is part of the original formatting of whatever program the original artist used. 

Method1. (Here's a doozy workaround for high res to web - last resort if all else fails.)

1. Printed art being 300dpi and millions of colors, and

2. Web art is viewed at 72dpi, you can (theoretically)

3. open the image as large as you can on your screen

4. take a screenshot (saves @ 72dpi jpg "rough"). 

5. Open in photoshop, crop out the black, and size it at 72 dpi for viewing.

CAVEAT: Don't even bother trying this work-around with text. It will get blocky/fuzzy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all this. Did you see my post earlier today in which I detailed a Ben Willmore lesson on creating a border edge using a Layer Style? Seems like that was the method my printer used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tienne220880292121_0-1638643638373.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy crap your a life saver. Thanks man.

For anyone that is viewing this thread in teh future, this solution works and is insanely easy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines