• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove - Warning: No pixels are more than 50% selected. The selection edges will not be visible.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to completely remove this? Even if you make a selection with a large feather radius it is still feathering it regardless, that selection is just invisible. The people here that are answering it are treating it as an error and the only symptom is to not use a large amount of feather strength and try again. The message is really annoying, as I use frequently I might add. So I was wondering if somebody out there could make a script or help me find one, because google itself is littered with this question, but the "resolved answer" doesn't really do anything or relate to what I am asking.

Any ideas?

I've been dealing with it for years, sure I can deal with it some more, but I just thought it would be fixed down the road, as it is a rather strange bug to leave lying around.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a bug it a message.  Informing you will not see where you just selected some pixels.  Users expect to see marching ants near where pixels are selected. You should not see this message in an automated process like a script or action  However, a Script or action may also fail if no pixels are selected at all.  For the next thing  that script or actions is going to do is use the selection it just made and that will fail for there is no selection.  The message is displayed in Photoshop UI not in Automation.  Photoshop has many selection tools if you use the in Photoshop UI you may get that  message.   You only see Error message from Action and Scripts not informative messages.  Script can even turn off recording history states.

You would need to make all selection from Action and scripts not use Photoshop selection tools in Photoshop UI.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing "Feather" to 0px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! setting the feather to 0.

Thanks for tip:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it and succeeded. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much ! Problem solve 🙂 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what this means because the feather radius won't allow me to input less than .1 pixels. Could you elaborate for the kids in back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this helps people till date!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you think your are over reacting a tad Mark?  "I hate you, Adobe.  HATE you." is rather pathetic to be honest over something so trivial. I've used Photoshop for 20 years and never had a crash with any of the selection tools and as an ACP here can't recall an OP having a problem making selections that couldn't be traced back to a hardware or driver issue.

As JJ said the 'No pixels are more than 50% selected' message is there by design and is not a bug. The marching ants display is never, ever a true representation of exactly what is selected, it is just a guide. The message you are seeing is just telling you that you have a selection made even though it cannot be rendered to the screen and certainly to advanced users we need to know that.

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you (about 80%) and removed my comment as a result, about ten minutes after posting.

It was a moment of Adobe-inspired frustration as Photoshop froze up for the third time in the last hour on a graphics job.  -Just as it has done, and continues to do so, on every laptop I've owned over the last half decade, including, Toshiba, Samsung and Dell.  At some point, Adobe is to blame, not me or the hardware provider.

(That's the 20%, btw, of my complaint which I consider valid.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop on a laptop is very often not a good match, for one particular reason: video adapters. Today many laptops have dual graphics, which Photoshop has big problems with. Users are officially warned against that, and advised to disable one of them.

Even with single graphics, laptops use manufacturer-modified video drivers, with additional "helpful" functions that cause Photoshop to choke. One famous thread recently dealt with auto-dimming of the UI.

On a desktop system, you don't have these problems. I haven't seen a crash, freeze or hang in years. And I use Photoshop professionally, eight hours a day, five days a week. And then I use it when I get home. Not a hitch, never.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a symptom of Old Systems Being Old.

I've not run a Tower PC for years.  Why?  Power outages and dirty power!

To prevent losing work due to random shutdowns in this one building I was working from, I ended up installing hundreds of dollars worth of UPS and power conditioning tech.  -It worked.  Then a couple of years later when I needed to upgrade my system, I realized, "Wait a moment.  A modern laptop is entirely powerful enough to handle all my raster graphics needs, PLUS it comes with UPS and power conditioner tech built-in by default.  Brilliant!"  I happily placed my obnoxious, loud and space-consuming Tower PC on the curb.

Currently, I'm working with a Dell Canvas 27" plugged into a Dell Latitude.  It's a little powerhouse, runs silent for the most part, is power efficient and even portable when needed.  (Though, I just use another 2-in-1 when I need to head out.)

The Tower PC as studio tool is rapidly fading into niche market status, (for gamers, animators and 3D artists, mostly).  For everybody else.., $400 spent on eBay is entirely capable of meeting the needs of almost any graphic arts project.  Adobe doesn't have the trim anymore to turn on a dime.  Even a dime which isn't being sneaky or rolling on a difficult to chart vector.  It was simply built to serve an increasingly irrelevant market sector and needs to clean up some of its core code so it has a decent brush engine and a lasso tool which doesn't randomly freeze up your system.

And it can be done!  -Clip Studio Paint, by contrast, is a young and vital piece of software, and it NEVER crashes.  On my Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, it's a very powerful drawing/painting program where Photoshop drags, crashes and pesters me with silly selection warnings which an updated GUI and engine design would rightfully abandon.

However, CSP, being a young program, lacks several features which prevents me from ditching Photoshop altogether.  -One of which being the rich library of file type protocols and export/import features.  You can only collect those over decades of in-house development and license agreements.  Text manipulation is another strong area for Adobe.  And (Ironically and frustratingly enough), another of those key features is in the lasso selection department!  Photoshop, despite its unreliable execution at least has the ability to hot-toggle between the normal and polygonal selection tool.  CSP can't do that.  (Or rather, has neglected to add that feature thus far.  Two lines of code is all it would take).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for old vs. new. Here's a piece you might enjoy for some fresh perspectives. Yes, it's ancient, it was written way back in 2000. But it's just as relevant today, which is why it's an internet classic, often quoted:

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be kind and respectful Karen. It's infuriating when things don't work and people don't need to feel judged for feeling frustrated at (especially) Adobe and for asking for help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to remember there was a option to hide this warning a few versions back.  I  also find it very annoying. When I am using the lasso tool to cut masks I often accidentally click and select nothing - I understand the need for people unfamiliar with p'shop to need the warning but I don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe should re-instate the check box to remove this dialog, in my case I run 16 bit images through a complex action that does a lot of work and multiple adjustments to different layers, each image takes about 5 minutes to go through the process and I work on another computer or go out to dinner etc. while the action is applied to 150 images.. kind of annoying for the action to stall on image 3 with this daft dialog and I come back to the computer after 4 hours and the process stack has got nowhere.

There's always someone that says "I am not affected by this", I am severely affected by this and as a professional software solution, we should get a professional response when we ask to have it removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps if you convert the Action to a script using Xtools the the action in its script form will not stop and wait for you to dismiss that popup. I believe the script would only stop on errors not warnings.

Phehaps Batching your Action with the Image Processor script instead of  File>Automate>Batch may also not stop because the action is being used by the script not from Photoshop UI or Automate Batch. Should be worth a try anyway.  You just need to process one image the get the warning.  Make sure you action doe selec some pixels.  If the next step requires a selection it will fail if no selection was made.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. This "message" popup should pop-up but not require a user to stop what they are doing to dismiss it. It should just disappear when the user tries to re-do their selection. Why make them stop their workflow and click to dismiss it? I understand some people might really value this kind of warning message, but the way it forces me to stop my workflow to click-to-remove it every single time has never been a benefit to me. I would love for there to be an option to turn off the persistance of the warning. Sure, make it pop-up. That's informative. But make an option for it to dismiss when I click the canvas to try and keep working. Why must I stop what I am doing? I am an illustrator. I often have to make several lasso selections in rapid succession to select just the right thing. It is very frustrating when Photoshop just stops recieving input when one of those is too small or incomplete. At that point I know it's incomplete. I just failed to make the selection I wanted. I'm probably a tiny bit frustrated and trying to make a new one. So how is it helping me to insist I click "Okay" every time that happens? I just want to keep working. Sure it might prevent some frustration for new users who can't figure out that there is nothing selected but there are a host of other ways a user can be equally frustrated in Photoshop (like being on the wrong layer, etc) and it doesn't seem like you force them to click away a pop-up before moving on from those, what makes this warning so precious? 

Ultimately, I don't follow the UI design choices here. This feels needlessly arbitrary. Why would a software developer dictate these kinds of warning response preferences for its users? Why not give them options. Clearly some people like it. Clearly others don't. I don't see why an option to remove it is not a good solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not sorted two years after I last complained. And still driving me mad most days.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did find a workaround of sorts... if you set the feather to 0px AND turn off Anti-alias, the warning doesn't come up.  Granted, you may be wanting one of those on, but this is all I found to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is not a bug it a message"

This is true. However the infinate wisdom of Adobe: should they realise that sometimes, people are working as professionals and need to create actions that dont stop for silly random reasons such as this!

Therefore setting a feather to 0 is not the solution - as sometimes, professional editors need to create actions that ACTUALLY NEED TO FEATHER SELECTIONS.

A simple "do not show this again" in the pop up box OR a checkbox in preferences that says: Selection Warnings - Overide Selection Warnings, or to the like.

I am not holding my breath.

One only needs to look at how the EXPERT Adobe programmers destroyed bridge in one single update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin, start a new thread and mark it as an idea. Try and make it clear what it is about in the Subject line, and I suspect it will get a lot of likes.  I will certainly vote it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What about the 'history eraser' warning? When you accidentally hit shift or maybe it's option when using the eraser - no option to get rid of the keyboard shortcut - or change it . Happens so often  I find it easier to use masks than the eraser 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines