• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to repair uneven slide film exposures?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attached image is from a film camera that had a slightly sticky shutter. Which caused each slide to have an over exposed portion, along with a strip of correct exposure. I have several hundred slides to fix, so I am looking for a simple way to blend both sides to a correct exposure. I have played around with various layers and blending options, but I lack the knowledge to get there.

Thank you for any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some sort of Adjustment Layer with the proper exposure masked out. I would start with just a rectangular mask, and try to get the adjusted part to match. Once they match. work on getting the mask right using Gradients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Semaphoric has already outlined an excellent solution. It's far from perfect, but I've mocked up an example of how this could be done.

capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the mockup, its very helpful. How about a mask created from the image? Could one be overlayed or inverted somehow to more accurately align the two halves? How could that be done? Otherwise I think it could take hours to align/adjust as it seems to be an imperfect gradient between the two sides. Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sepia1.jpg

Rather than give up on a project that would take ages to complete and provide no assurance of success, cosider saving the images in grayscale or as duotones. Thay would be far easier (and faster) to modify, would avoid the distraction of damaged color and they speak of a time gone by.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is certainly a good approach, but I would prefer to keep the color as the digital file will be the archive of record going forward. To take your idea another way, how about masks or correcting using LAB channels? The L channel contains the grayscale detail. Could the A-B color channels be used to even the exposure? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I did try Lab but in preparation I looked at CMYK to see whether there was some luminosity mask potential hiding in the channels. The Magenta had possibilities and after modifying it, it was applied in Lab where I could work with tonal scale discrete from color. Although the color channels showed improvement, the whole business too much time with no assurance that other scans might not have a CMYK channel with luminosity mask potential.  Not a practical solution. I moved on to duotone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines