• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to report a problem?

Participant ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every thread that I have followed leads to these fora.  Having posted the problem and gotten no response, I followed as many leads as I could and wound up back in these fora again.  I have a repeatable problem that will crash Photoshop CC 2015.5 every time.  Always.  It spends 5 minutes going through the crash sequence and sends some stuff off to Apple.  Maybe next time I'll capture the traffic to figure out what it is sending.  Meanwhile, I have a repeatable bug.  I do not have a ready way around the problem.  Does Adobe have any interest at all in fixing it?  If not, why am I paying for the CC subscription?  Maybe the non-subscription is better -- I won't have delusions of support.  (Yes, after almost a week without response, I am getting cranky.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any other postings in your history that looks like an unsolved issue.  Can you provide more detail regarding the problem and some information about your system?  When did it start?  What happens - what triggers it?  What errors are reported?  Have your tried getting customer support to help?  Is the problem only happening with Photoshop?

Contact support - For the link below click the Still Need Help? option in the blue area at the bottom and choose the chat or phone option...

Make sure you are logged in to the Adobe site, have cookies enabled, clear your cookie cache.  If it fails to connect try using a different browser.

Creative Cloud support (all Creative Cloud customer service issues)

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/service-ccm.html ( http://adobe.ly/19llvMN )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop CC.

Regards

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2016 Oct 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, I have a repeatable bug.

You say you do but what have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

In any case this is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2325

The proper place for Photoshop Bug Reports is

Photoshop Family Customer Community

by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the links.  It just was not obvious (to me) how to locate the links.  And, no, it was not reported from this login.  I got a 1 year CC "membership" that also required changing login id's.  I have an image (5GB of .psb data) that will fall over the moment you click "filter->adaptive wide angle" or "edit->puppet warp".  The solution was to slice up the image, un-warp the part that was warped and then reassemble.  "Slow" is an inadequate description.  "Glacial", maybe.  But doing it as one big image caused an immediate crash.  Oh, and with the partial image, when I "puppet warp"-ed it, a bunch of stray lines got scribbled into the image.  Fortunately, all the lines were in the sky, so the healing brush was an easy fix.

Um, obviously, the "basic trouble shooting steps" were not real helpful with something that just falls over straight away.  I blow away all persistent settings (except shortcuts) at the start of every session.  Too much magic for my tastes.

WRT "pertinent information", it would be just that the warp fails on these images and I'm reluctant to post multi-gigabyte files.  I will happily put them on an anonymous FTP server.  Again, thank you for the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 5gb file is enormous and will definitely tax your system when using complex processes like adaptive wide angle or puppet warp.

What are your specs? OS, RAM, HD space?

Unless you have a very souped up system, it's gonna fail or run at a snails pace at best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS/X 16.0.0 (Sierra), 8GB RAM, 3TB disk (free), 32GB swap.  I understood perfectly that it would likely thrash and seem interminable.  What's wrong are the stray lines and the crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 GB RAM is in my opinion not nearly enough to effectively run Photoshop with a file that large. Even with 16 GB RAM it would struggle to give any semblance of realtime results. I would ignore sending crash log information to Apple - they won't do anything about it anyway and as you noted, it's holding up the recovery process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear - this isn't a bug. This is a case of expecting Photoshop to work beyond your current system allowances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly expect it to thrash (page fault on way too many of its memory references), but I don't expect it to die without comment.  OS/X should have adequate pages available in a *32* GB address space.  It is a 64 bit CPU (core i7).  Even if it ran out of space, Ps is *supposed* to fail comprehensibly if an allocation fails.  Even discounting the direct failure, the scribbling on my puppet warp is wrong.  Anyway, it needs to be an Adobe employee that looks at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Space is not the issue.  It is RAM that you are lacking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BSD has had a solid virtual memory management system for many decades now.  I have 32GB of disk set aside for swap.  It should work as if it were physical (DRAM), albeit an awful lot slower.  That's what "thrashing" means.

Primer on virtual memory:

When a program needs more RAM space, it asks the operating system (Windows or OS/X or Linux) for it.  If there is no physical space available but there is "swap space" available, the OS will put the task to sleep, grab some chunk of memory and write it out to disk.  It marks that memory as "absent" and gives that memory to the new request for memory.  With the request satisfied, the program continues on never knowing any of this happened.  When some program tries to reference the "absent" memory, the CPU *hardware* detects that the required address is not around and signals a page fault.  The fault handler gets some physical memory (perhaps by throwing out some other data) and reads back the contents that were thrown out before.  The computer instruction that triggered the fault is then restarted.  *That* program doesn't know anything happened either.

SO:  I have 32 GB of memory, 8 real and 32 of swap space.  (You can't just add 32 and 8.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brkorb wrote:

When some program tries to reference the "absent" memory, the CPU *hardware* detects that the required address is not around and signals a page fault. The fault handler gets some physical memory (perhaps by throwing out some other data) and reads back the contents that were thrown out before. The computer instruction that triggered the fault is then restarted. *That* program doesn't know anything happened either.

SO: I have 32 GB of memory, 8 real and 32 of swap space. (You can't just add 32 and 8.)

Adobe programs don't run well on virtual memory and require "real" memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Brk

How did you manage to set up "32 GB" of swap space for Mac OS? (At least, it sounds like you are running Mac OS). I don't think that this can be tuned for MacOS. Your description of swap space sounds like a Unix version from the 1990's (ask me how I know about that). I think Mac OS really tries hard to not ever swap -- at least on my computer it mostly compresses pages, and then terminates a process when its memory grows to 2x physical memory (greater than about 64 GB with my 32 GB of RAM).

Anyway, I would try buying some memory for my computer before registering a bug report at Photoshop.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines