Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to resize a smart object and its container pop up size

Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PS help...

I have a PS banner that is 4500px with a smart object (see image).

I want to resize this to 450px to 450 px, that is easy enough by image>>image size>>resize parameters. (this is the way i do it).

This will reduce the image down at 1:1 ratio at the new size 450px X 450px (perfect)...

Next in the new size format, you will see the color smart object (see image), and when i double click the smart object icon, the pop up .psb file is 2003px wide (see image)....

I would like for this smart object pop up to be the same size as the master (just) resized image 450px X 450px.....

Is this possible to do?

I know i can resize the .psb file to a new size once it is open, however it would be nice if the main file was reduced that the inside smart object would reduce itself down at a 1:1 ratio to match the main sizing (1000px would be ok and reduced from t he 2003px original).......or equal the same as the main resizing 450px x 450px..

Please advise

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

What you describe would defeat the purpose of the smart object. The smart object is a container that can display its content at the master document size regardless of the actual content size. When the SO is resized several times in the main document, say down then back up,  the display is recalculated each time from the original, unchanged,  SO content. If the actual SO content was resized then data would be lost  and that recalculation, from original content, would no longer work.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

original_4500px x 4500.jpg450px.jpglast_smart_popup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe would defeat the purpose of the smart object. The smart object is a container that can display its content at the master document size regardless of the actual content size. When the SO is resized several times in the main document, say down then back up,  the display is recalculated each time from the original, unchanged,  SO content. If the actual SO content was resized then data would be lost  and that recalculation, from original content, would no longer work.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines