• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Resize Text Box without Resizing the Texts Inside It?

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

How can I resize the text box without resizing the texts inside it? I search on Google and find the following article:

https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/42095/photoshop-how-to-resize-a-text-box-without-d...

However, I check the text layer in my PSD file, and there is only a "Type" -> "Convert to Point Text" menu item for it, which means it is already a "Paragraph text". But when I try to resize it, the resize will still cause the texts inside it distorted again. Why?

My file can be downloaded from: Dropbox - Problem2.psd - Simplify your life

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

Double clicking the type layers thumbnail works for me with Photoshop 20.0.5

Also tested your PSD and it works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Double clicking the type layers thumbnail works for me with Photoshop 20.0.5

Also tested your PSD and it works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ged,

Thank you very much. I find the trick. That is, one must double-click the "T", after that, the box border will become dashed lines. In such a mode, when resizing the box, the texts will not be resized.

Originally I just click the "T", in such a case, the box border is solid lines. In such a mode, when resizing the box, the texts will be resized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing the trick! I had to find several videos on YouTube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything works just fine as expected. The question is: do we understand what is your problem or you are trying wrong way to resize text box? Have you tried above suggestion or try with Type Tool active, click inside text box to activate it then resize text box.

2019-08-09_13-50-13.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue as the original person. However, there is no way I can get the box to be dashed lines. It's always solid no matter where I click or which tool I select or if I hold down "control", "option" or "command. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your text within the layer is being rendered as 'point text'. You need to make the text 'paragraph text'.

Select and activate the layer that contains your text from the layers palette.

With the layer active, goto Type > Convert to Paragraph text. You should now be able to click into the text and see a bounding box that can be resized without resizing or rescaling the text inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so very much - so many people miss the point of converting text to Paragraph Text - I've spent about 20 minutes figuring this out - it shouldn't be so difficult to find the right command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You!  I've struggled to figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the ame issue how to copy text from Word doc into a blank canvas and adjust the text area without changing the font? Very easy on Pixlr but i cant find how to display the border of the text box and adjust it in CS5 ?

ideally i would like to copy all the text and font preformatted in Word and copy them into CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also works in Photoshop Elements 2021!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines