• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to see reference images off of artboard in Photoshop CC?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been using Photoshop and Illustrator for awhile.  I really like how I can have as much stuff (photos, vector art, text, etc) outside of the artboards in Illustrator.  I have long wished I could do this in Photoshop.

Recently, I was watching a tutorial for Photoshop painting on Lynda and the author dragged a bunch of references files off of his artboard and onto the dark gray nether space (the non artboard area) and you could still see them! Mind blown.  But this does not work for me.

When I place a file into my Photoshop -most recently, a photo of a wing for reference) - I cannot drag it off of the artboard and still see it.  It disappears.  This is annoying.  I would like to use my entire artboard space for drawing and have the reference just off to the side.  How do I duplicate my Lynda friend's method of having visible layers (references) in the off-artboard nether space?  (He does not say how in the video) :{

Help appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Hi i checked at Photoshop CC 2019 just make document using artboard if you move it side of canvas it will go its nothing special.

art bd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could choose Image > Reveal All, but once that command is chosen there is no quick way to change the canvas back to its original size unless you immediately undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barbara,

Thank you for the reply.  The reveal all solution seems to be the only thing I can find when googling.  Perhaps it will help if I show a screenshot of the tutorial?  Because I do not believe the artist giving the tutorial is using Reveal All.  He just drags his images right off of his artboard like so:

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 8.13.13 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i checked at Photoshop CC 2019 just make document using artboard if you move it side of canvas it will go its nothing special.

art bd.jpg

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see!  So, when making a new document, I have to check the box to make it an artboard doc.  Thanks, lambiloon!  Just in case anyone wants a little more info:

How to Use the Artboards Feature of Adobe Photoshop CC 2018

Anyone know if there is any particular reason why all Photoshop docs are not automatically artboards like in Illustrator?  It seems only the mobile and web presets have the artboard function checked in the new document window.  Just wondering if there will be any unforeseen consequences to using artboards for illustration purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Photoshop is pixel base they can merge if editing done at same page while illustrator is vector base computer generated art in easy way.

Thank you

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This only works for RGB documents 😞 Not ideal for anyone designing in CMYK! I'd LOVE the option to see reference images/objects around the artboard in photoshop... and not just for RGB users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Having a similar issue.

Downloaded  PS 20.0.5 and now all of my Nion artboard text is pixillated.

In the old version it was always smooth. Cannot find a way to anti alias it again. All the smooth options do not work. It is like the font smoothing is turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines