Highlighted

How to select text to put on transparent background

New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

I'm new to the community but semi-knowledgable about Photoshop- regardless I apologize for any mistakes. 

I am trying to select text from a newspaper clipping to place on a transparent background. Do I need to individually select each letter or is there an easier way to select just the text rather than the whole clipping? 

Thanks in advance for the help! 

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to select text to put on transparent background

New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

I'm new to the community but semi-knowledgable about Photoshop- regardless I apologize for any mistakes. 

I am trying to select text from a newspaper clipping to place on a transparent background. Do I need to individually select each letter or is there an easier way to select just the text rather than the whole clipping? 

Thanks in advance for the help! 

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's an image of a clipping, both the text and background are part of that image. If the background is off white, you can select what you want to use:

clipping1.png

Then I use Levels to force the gray to white

clipping plus levels.png

Next I add an Effects layer and use the Blending option to for the wite to be transparent. You have to save as a png file to get transparency, and it must be a floating layer, so click the layer padlock to be sure.

Clipping + Blending Effects.png 

Move that slider to the left until the white area goes transparent.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 4.14.59 PM.png

Then you place it on the background of your choice and flatten the file.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 4.06.15 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually end up retyping content on a new layer with the Type Tool.  In the end, you have better quality text in less time than it will take to extract background and artifacts from a scanned image.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines