• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to shrink selection by certain amount of pixels from the border?

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

i'm not good using photoshop, i just installed the pre realease cs6 and trying to find a way of shrinking the marquee selection by certain amount of pixels from the selection border

i found expand selection but it doesn't allow me to type nigative value plz help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Perhaps the easiest way is to use this script: Contract Canvas Selection

http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/scripts/contract-selection.html

Haven't had a chance to try it in cs6 though.

Yes it does work in photoshop cs6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select -> Modify -> Contract

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noting that one can't contract a selection that touches the visible edge of the canvas (Contract is grayed-out) and the Border entry gives one a feathered edge, what do you really suggest, Chris? 

We've discussed this before... Some old version of Photoshop - I forget which - used to allow Contract when the entire image was selected, and that was actually USEFUL.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're true Contract worked just fine but not when the selection touching the canvas, is there a tip on how to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Noel says, Select -> Modify -> Contract   is not available when the entire canvas is selected.  The answer is Select > Transform selection.  This also gives precise control of the changes in the Options bar.

[EDIT]  If you are just going to drag a corner handle, don't forget that the Alt/Opt key will cause all four sides to contract by the same amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting workaround, but not all that easily usable, unfortunately, if all you want is to exclude a couple of pixels around every edge.  I found that if I changed the interpolation method to Nearest Neighbor and the units in px it became more direct, and the units stuck for nexxt time, but then unfortunately those same things stuck for the next time I used Edit - Free Transform on a real image.  Leaving it on "Nearest Neighbor" would almost certainly result in a screwup later.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to go to qiuck mask, Select>All>Edit>Stroke with inside and the amount you want then exit qiuck mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R_Kelly wrote:

One way is to go to qiuck mask, Select>All>Edit>Stroke with inside and the amount you want then exit qiuck mask.

Hey, that is a pretty cool work around.  Hats off to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a genius. Great suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much guys you are very helpful

just one more question :

i found interesting thing, when you do Select > Transform selection and press alt+shift and drag mouse, it will shrink the selection from both sides but not evenly like this:

plz any more tips on how to make it evenly

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the easiest way is to use this script: Contract Canvas Selection

http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/scripts/contract-selection.html

Haven't had a chance to try it in cs6 though.

Yes it does work in photoshop cs6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R_Kelly

wow, that worked very good thank you so much

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mo5kiq.jpg

i love you guys

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Creative Cloud versions of photoshop starting with CC 2014 one can check Apply effect at canvas bounds, so the aforementioned script (Contract Canvas Selection) is no longer needed.

eacb1.pngeacb2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines