Highlighted

How to stop Photoshop cc from closing the current file after a Save-As?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use Save-As to create a copy in Photoshop.  But doing this always causes the original file to automatically close.  So if I want to make more than one copy, I have to reopen the original file again.

How do you turn off this auto-close function?  I've looked everywhere.

Tks

TOPICS
How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to stop Photoshop cc from closing the current file after a Save-As?

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use Save-As to create a copy in Photoshop.  But doing this always causes the original file to automatically close.  So if I want to make more than one copy, I have to reopen the original file again.

How do you turn off this auto-close function?  I've looked everywhere.

Tks

TOPICS
How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can turn this off.

But you can duplicate the image (Image > Duplicate). On Windows, press Alt + I, then release the Alt key, and press D. On a Mac, you can create an action that does this.

In the dialog that pops up, type a new filename and save.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks...Image Duplicate works.  But you have the added step of having to save it seperately.  Makes it more difficult than it has to be when you're working with a template.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0
JJMack LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working on a new document and you use save as.  The document is no longer longer an new document and Photoshop changes the current document to  be that saved document.  Photoshop  does not close any document  it morph the open document to be the saved document that is now open in Photoshop. This morphing does not happen if you are working on a layer document and you use save as to save a flat file like a PNG or Jpeg.  The Flat file is saved and the current layered document remains a new unsaved layer document.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0