How to stop photoshop from taking up 140GB just from creating a new project

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some mental help..
I have got an assignment but today my computer decided to start using 140GB just from creating a new project. How do I fix this (I have a HDD)

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, How to, Performance, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct Answers

Adobe Community Professional , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021
Hi What are the dimensions of the new file, you may have set it to inches rather than pixels

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021
It is often the case when this happens, that units have got mixed up, and a document intended to be 1000 pixels wide is actually 1000 inches.  If that is at 72DPI then the document becomes 72,000 pixels wide, and that can easily produce a 140Gb of scratch files.  What's even worse is that a file that size can cause Photoshop to slow to the point of being unusable and crash, and if Photoshop does not shut down properly, those huge scratch files will be left on your hard drive.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What are the dimensions of the new file, you may have set it to inches rather than pixels

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is often the case when this happens, that units have got mixed up, and a document intended to be 1000 pixels wide is actually 1000 inches.  If that is at 72DPI then the document becomes 72,000 pixels wide, and that can easily produce a 140Gb of scratch files.  What's even worse is that a file that size can cause Photoshop to slow to the point of being unusable and crash, and if Photoshop does not shut down properly, those huge scratch files will be left on your hard drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines