• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop Photoshop opening jpegs as RGB? [CS6]

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently PS has decided to open any image I have (all jpegs) in RGB by default and I'm desperate to change it back. Even if I create a new canvas and drag a file in the file is converted to RGB. I've reset the preferences but with no success. I'm a very basic user so haven't changed any settings and never had this problem before! I'm using CS6 on Windows. Any help would be amazing as I am very stuck! 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me it seems you might be mistaken  â€“ Photoshop opens jpgs in the Color Mode they actually have by default, no conversion. 

Can you post one of the jpgs you believe to not be RGB but that Photoshop opens as an RGB image? 

Why do you need to save the images as something other than a profiled RGB anyway? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q: Change it back to what?

RGB is the default – RGB is a standard color model, displayed on your devices. 

To change to other Color Mode, for example, CMYK, etc. you must 1. Image>Mode...select CMYK, etc. 2. Save your file 3. When you Open file it will no longer be in RGB mode. 

More info on color modes:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/converting-color-modes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And converting to CMYK and saving as jpg should ideally be the very last steps when no more editing is necessary on an image – for example when exporting the print-pdf from Indesign (and in such a case the images should usually be placed in Indesign as profiled RGB images in a file format that does not employ lossy compression like jpg). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if you mean as opposed to them opening in Adobe Camera RAW?  If this is what you are asking about, then we are probably going to have to reading the manual, as things have changed since then, and I am struggling to remember how we went about it.  I 'think' we held down the Alt (Mod) key while opening a JPG from Bridge.  That does not seem to work in CC any more.  Plus we have Lightroom now, so we need to know if you are opening these RAW files from Lightroom, Bridge, File Explorer, the Mac Finder, or from the Photoshop File > Open.  Can you help us out with that?

There are some tips here, but I am not sure this is for CS6 or CC

https://designpanoply.com/blog/two-ways-to-open-a-jpg-with-adobe-camera-raw-directly-in-photoshop

To move forward, it would be useful if you could clarify if you are indeed talking about opening JPGs in ACR? If not then try and explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve?  Then let us know what operating system you are using.

Thanks and good luck.

[EDIT] I have changed the subject line to show this is for CS6.  That might get more relevant posters to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines